This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

After watching the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, I saw the initial pressure but ease that the main character, Andie, had with her assignment. This was to lose Ben, a guy that she went on a date with, shortly after her boss agreed that she could write about any topic if she went through with it. But what Andie didn’t know is that Ben had his own goal — to make her fall in love with him within 10 days to be able to pitch his marketing idea. While watching, you go through unexpected twists and turns wondering how things will end up for Andie and Ben.

After a breakup, we hope the feeling of sadness and memories of the relationship become less painful and go away quickly. We can say that we won’t think about them, or care about what they are doing now. But do we really feel that way? No, at least not for all of us. Especially when losing someone that you planned to spend the rest of your life with. You go through different challenges trying to cope. You wish things could have gone differently. Whether you were the one who ended things or not, there is this strong, deep-seated hurt that you feel from losing the person that you considered your soulmate. The person who you would be the first to hear your good news, the person you saw as your hero, the person that was there for you for worse or better. After a fight, you wanted them to reach out, and holding back from talking to them hurt really bad. 

You hope that eventually you’ll be able to go a day without thinking of them and crying. You wonder when and if that will even be possible. You walk by the spot where you had first met, held hands, kissed, said “I love you,” and start reminiscing. That even though you are hurt, you can’t forget them or not care about what their life is like now, and who they’ll end up with. 

This is not about how to get over a relationship in 10 days, but rather to remember that coping is a rollercoaster. As How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days shows, if you were in love, losing that person is not easy despite the reasons for leaving the relationship.

To whoever is reading this, stay strong and take time for yourself.

As you have likely heard before, if it is meant to be, it will be, and you will find your way back to each other and get the life you always wanted to have together.

The Vow, 2014 — image retrieved from (https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/the-vow/images/27917141/title/vow-movie-trailer-screencaps-screencap)

fUQhatJB2KgPT4eIfQ0sa6Cb7tCfh3HLP5Na z04o1TIBbUtWkyZMK8R4EpHxo5KY e3lcPRQRckXMfZBQ9sw0WAugjAm18ZTriRrl2zhNEB1WRSluXer Tfj2 WYFzOnFIGW3Uhg7rrmYOAPVUfcDA

Xerria is a senior double majoring in Psychology & Family + Consumer Studies, and will be graduating in 2023. She enjoys being with her pets, family, and friends. You can find her at the lake, hanging out with friends, or taking a nap.