How to Be Academically Successful in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Academic success, especially in college, can be a challenge. It is important to prioritize your schoolwork without forfeiting your mental health and wellbeing.

The best way to begin is by finding classes that interest you. Whether you know your major or not, trying new classes can be fun and insightful! It is also useful to choose classes that could help you learn life skills or that would be beneficial for your future career.

Of course, there are general education courses, which are the ones that you are required to take. Because these courses may not align with your interests or may be subjects that are not your favorites, they may feel stressful and seem scary. However, once you get through these courses, you are one step closer to your degree than you were before! I believe that it is best to take those challenging classes during your first couple of semesters so that you can get them out of the way early and also leave you with room to repeat them if necessary.

With all of this in mind, there will likely still be times when you become overwhelmed and feel a lot of pressure. If/when this happens, here are some ways to manage:

1. Ask for help from professors, classmates, TA’s, etc.

2. Make a homework schedule (you could do this on Google Docs/Sheets or hand write it!)

3. Try to cut off screen time a few hours before bed

4. Schedule time to do things you enjoy that will boost your mood (meet up with friends, call family, exercise — anything that you will be happy to do!)

5. Spend time with loved ones (via FaceTime if they’re far away!)

6. Get involved in and out of school (find clubs that your college offers, join an intramural sport, create a study group, etc.)

7. Be sure that you’re checking in with yourself and reach out if you’re struggling (you are never alone and you never have to suffer alone!)

College students know that there is much to keep up with, and a lot of the time it feels like too much to keep up with. These are some ways that you can make all of that stress a little less overwhelming. Remember that there are always ways to improve problems and there are people willing to help you!

Xerria is a senior double majoring in Psychology & Family + Consumer Studies, and will be graduating in 2023. She enjoys being with her pets, family, and friends. You can find her at the lake, hanging out with friends, or taking a nap.