This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The end of spooky season is upon us! Hopefully you already have you already have your costume picked out for this Thursday and the weekend shenanigans. If not, check out this article to help inspire you! Halloween can and should be a fun and safe event for everyone. However, there’s always those that go out of their way to bring down others night. Here are a few ways you can stay safe this Halloweekend!

Let others know what your plans are for the night

Tell your roommate, partner, mom, sorority sister –whoever– what your plans are for the night! It does not have to be an exact timeline at all. Let them know you’re going to the boys-next-doors; pumpkin ball, then you’re heading downtown for a spooky bar crawl, and then ending your night at your sorority sister’s house. Letting someone know your rough schedule can help them and you in case there is an emergency, or they need to get in touch with you.

Watch your drinks!

Whether you drink alcohol or not, always keep an eye on your drinks. If you set your drink down and take your eyes off it (even for a moment) get a new one! Also, if someone offers to buy or pour you a drink, go with them and watch what they buy/pour in there. You’d rather be safe than sorry!

If you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, TELL SOMEONE

If you’re in a situation that is making you comfortable, please tell someone. Tell the security guard, the bar tender, one of your friends –whoever you trust– that you are in a situation that is making you uneasy and 9/10 they will help you out. No one should feel uncomfortable, and if someone or something is making you uncomfortable, please tell someone.

Find a sober driver to take you home

Call an Uber/Lyft to take you home, especially if you have been drinking. If you know someone that’s offered to take you home that you know is sober, have them take you home. If you call a rideshare, double-check everything before you get in: driver name, license plate, color of car, style/type of car, etc. If you feel unsafe about getting in the car, cancel it and call a new one. 

Being safe this year is one of my top priorities and should be one of yours, too. The second priority is having fun! Halloween is a time to get dressed up, hang out with friends, and eat ungodly amounts of candy. Stay smart and keep an eye out for yourself and your friends and everything should go smoothly. 

Health Education and Promotion Major with an Anthropology Minor; Community Health emphasis. Just your average 24 year old trying to scramble her way through everyday life.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor