How to Stay Productive During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Tired of feeling like a sack of excrement? With the active spread of COVID-19, many of us have been ordered to stay home, unless there’s an essential reason to venture out. Not being able to go out and staying cooped at home can be a struggle for some of us. However, there are many good reasons to do so, besides preventing the spread of the virus.

1. Become a professional chef/pâtissier

We now have so much time on our hands when we’re not doing online work. DO NOT waste a drop of this time. Even if your everyday meals consist of plain toast and ramen, you can use the quarantine to change that up. Look through cookbooks, magazines, Chrissy Teigen’s Twitter account. You’ll be whipping up a tasty meal and baked goods like Gordon Ramsay or Claire Saffitz in no time at all.

2. Work out…or don’t

Wasn’t it a childhood dream to be a bodybuilder? Wow! Perfect timing to start training now. Don’t fret about the gyms we can no longer use. Build a personal gym at home using the tires off your car. I’ll be seeing you at the Arnold Sports Festival next year! But it’s also okay if you don’t want to be a bodybuilder. I understand.

3. Take care of yourself for once

With all the time you have at home, you can start developing routines that aren’t possible in a normal work week. That 12-step skincare plan is finished gathering dust. You can meditate for three hours if you wanted to. Get the long due spring cleaning out of the way.

woman getting a spa day face mask
Adrian Motroc

4. Watch movies

Do you have a list of saved movies on Netflix? Now is the time to get through those, one by one. There’s even a Chrome extension called Netflix Party if you want friends to join your movie marathon.

5. Try a new hobby

Scrolling through social media can’t be your only form of entertainment. Remember when you actually had hobbies? You can use this time to try something out of your comfort zone. Whether it be crocheting, building puzzles, drawing with watercolor, or learning photography, this is the perfect moment to pick up on a hobby that you’ve been putting off.  

6. Learn a new language

Many learning abroad plans have been canceled. This doesn’t mean you can’t learn the language at home. This might even be better for someone that is planning to study overseas. Downloading Duolingo and getting a head start on the desired language will only make your time easier abroad.

Travel Airplane Sky Sunset
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

There are so many things you can make time for during the pandemic. Just remember to stay home or stay safe.

A girl studying Journalism at the University of Utah. When she is not writing, Nina enjoys novels, her cute dog, dancing in the air and buying excessive amounts of skincare that she doesn't need. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor