How to Make Fraternity Parties Not Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Parties are supposed to be fun, right? Well, when they are full of drunk freshmen, sweaty people, and bad music, parties can start to lose their appeal. Here are a few quick tips from a seasoned partier to make a sucky party at least slightly less sucky.

1. Have very low expectations 

Movies portray parties to be all glamour and excitement. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a movie. You most likely won’t meet the person of your dreams, or be swept off your feet dancing with a beautiful stranger. More than likely, you’ll see all of the same people that you’ve seen at the last seven parties, and you’ll get stuck dancing next to an overly-eager pledge so that your BFF can talk to his friend.

2. Go with people you actually like

Meeting up with acquaintances can be fun, and this can be a great place to get to know people. However, parties can cause a bit of drama, and you really don’t want to be sucked into that. Surrounding yourself with people you know and love can act as a shield from all of the unfortunate events that are bound occur.

3. Go for yourself

If you are going to a party hoping to hit it off with a certain person who you know will be there can be a recipe for disaster. You might end up spending the whole night obsessing about them, and forget to actually speak to them. Or worse, they could be into someone else, leaving you feeling alone and rejected. Go to the party because you actually want to go and fun, or blow off a little steam. Do it for you, not anyone else.

4. Dress to impress

Who doesn’t love to get dressed up on the weekend? Looking your best can drastically improve your mood, which in turn can improve your whole party attitude. Put on an outfit that makes you feel fierce, walk in with confidence, and own this party.

5. BYOB

Bring a water bottle filled with your drink of choice (alcoholic or not) and avoid the jungle juice at all costs. Having your own drink with you saves you from having to scour the house for one, and can save you from having to use a shot glass that 13 other people have used that night. Gross. Save yourself the trouble – and the germs – and bring what you want.

6. Have a good attitude

Attitude is everything. If you go into the party with a bad attitude, it will only get worse as the night goes on. Keep your expectations low, keep an open mind, and remember to focus on having fun.

Keep these things in mind the next you go out, and watch how the party goes from drab to fab. 

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.