How to Know When You Are Starting the Semester Off Too Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the beginning of spring semester and you’re pumped. You are ready to go. The last week of winter break you spent simultaneously soaking up your last minutes of relaxation while mentally preparing for the upcoming term. You have spent the previous weeks motivating yourself and planning the ultimate schedule of campus involvement. Multiple classes, work, internship, sorority, clubs, and fitness. It’s all in there. You have your life strategically planned down to a melodious tee. You thrive on your busy life style. The chaotic agenda gives purpose to your life and you are a faithful worshiper of your brimming calendar. The semester begins and you have never been more driven in your life. However, over the first day or two you realize just how busy you have made yourself become. This can be a sign that you’re starting the semester off too strong; and yes it is possible.

It’s the first week of classes and your schedule is already hectic while struggling to find time to even look over your syllabi for classes. You convince yourself that it’s okay though and you’ll adapt to your new responsibilities soon. Although it is ambitious to start the semester off strong and with a productive attitude, it is important to remain realistic. Taking lots of credit hours while maintaining a job and internship along with extracurricular activities is going to wear you down fast. Plus you will be so spread thin that you will not be able to fully dedicate yourself to the task at hand the way you want to.

I know, I know, you like to stay busy and free time makes you feel anxious and as if life itself is spiraling out of control. But if everyone around you is saying that you’re doing too much and your roommate tries tackling your laptop out of your hands to drop a class, you might want to take their opinions into consideration. I’m not saying drop all your classes and quit your job, but maybe drop a class or take a semester off from a certain club. It’s important to be present in everything that you do, and it’s hard to do that when your focus is scattered. So while starting off strong was a valiant effort of determination, know your limits and know how to realize when to scale back so you can be a happier, more successful student. 

Kaylee Ann Mortensen is a student at the University of Utah studying International Studies and English. In her free time she can be found reading, trying to master the language of french, looking up pictures of grizzly bears, and eating french fries.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor