How to Improve Your Personal Workspace for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

All of us are hard at work this spring, and we all need a fresh space to get things done. Yes, I am talking about the personal workspace, which often gets crowded with papers and notebooks among other stationery. We all have one, whether it be a desk in your room or your kitchen table. Regardless, here are some tips on how to improve your personal workspace.

Make Sure the Location Works

Separation is important: you don’t want your couch to be where you relax and where you do your work. If this is the case for you, consider making a corner of your bedroom or living room designated for work. A space with natural light and free from distractions is ideal, but the most important thing to consider is the separation from the places where you unwind. Doing this will help your productivity when in the workspace.

Out with the Old

We’re all guilty of holding onto things we no longer need, and it’s no different when it comes to your workspace. Let go of all of the old papers, notes, etc. and make space for the new things you will create this spring. It’s always more refreshing to be in a space that is clean and organized, and saying goodbye to the clutter is a giant step towards this refresh.

Decide on a Organizational System

Everyone is different, we all like our spaces set up in a different way. Many of us have a hard time keeping the workspace organized (myself included), and choosing an organizational system and sticking with it can be super helpful in doing so. A great way to decide how you want your space to be organized is to explore the different workspace organizers offered. The Container Store offers great options for this step, which you can find here.

Make Use of a Planner

There are so many different options when it comes to planners, and in my opinion, it’s essential to have one. Not only does a planner help you remember important dates, but it also provides you with a place to set daily goals and record them. By setting daily goals you are providing a sense of worth and motivation, which everyone needs at some point (don’t we all). A tool like this is awesome when it comes to productivity. If you are unsure of where to get a planner, you can find some rad options here, which can be separated by day, week, or month.

Be Inspired

Finally, a personal workspace should be somewhere where you feel inspired. One way to do this is to create an inspiration board to hang in your workspace. This can include anything that inspires you, magazine clippings, quotes, pictures of people, whatever you want! This can also serve as a good study break activity to do with your friends. Amazon offers a wide range of pinboards that make it easy to change out your board as new things inspire you, which you can find here.

Of course, there is so much more you can do to make your personal workspace organized and fresh, but these steps are some great starters. All of us work hard and deserve to be productive in a space that, you know, makes you feel productive. Now is the time to make your personal workspace yours, be creative!

Mya is majoring in Strategic Communication and is the current President of Her Campus Utah. She enjoys movies, road trips, writing and having dinner parties with her best friends. Her favorite things to write about are fashion, beauty and lifestyle.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor