jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How I Plan To Enjoy My Fall Season Without “Basic Fall” Stereotypes: By Not Caring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What is it about fall that causes a frenzy of memes mocking the stereotypical “white girl” for digging through her closet to pull out her leggings, boots and booties (okay, yes, Uggs), overpriced PINK quarter-zip and making a beeline for Starbucks because update: the Pumpkin Spice Latte is back and we are all at least a little excited. The simple fact is that many of the descriptions and aspects of the common basic white girl surround fall. Young women almost can’t do anything during this season without being labeled as unoriginal. And, while, yes I will admit that this season you will see me rocking my flannel, riding boots and a Venti PSL, there will be one difference. This season I plan to be 100% okay and confident with it.  I remember sitting with my boyfriend and his friends on my laptop scrolling through an article on great fall dates for college students. I excitedly mentioned to him how we should go to Black Island Farms so we could go to a haunted house, corn maze, and pumpkin patch. His friends snickered and teased, “Get ready for the season of average white girls aka the worst season to be in a relationship. Is your Starbucks card ready?” Another added, “Uh, weren’t you just talking about your research paper for your political science class?” How does my desire to enjoy this season correlate with my intelligence? When did we create the idea that Starbucks, leggings, boots and dates to pumpkin patches defined basic which points to ditzy and carefree? I guess it’s not possible to be an educated, driven woman who also enjoys cool weather and coffee. 

I really don’t understand the point of categorizing every young woman during this season into a group to point and laugh at. The female CEO who religiously orders a non-fat skinny no whip latte will still be a CEO, the medical student who goes on a hayride date to a pumpkin patch will still be studying medicine and it is the same application to ALL women no matter what their field. It may seem like a trivial matter to discuss, but the demeaning attitude towards women being basic – unoriginal, and “all the same”, whether during the fall season or not, needs to stop. As women, especially during this time, we tend and often feel obligated to laugh along. “Yes aren’t I so cookie-cutter in my black leggings and cute flannel? I do look like everyone else. And yup I’m seriously ordering a pumpkin spice anything, could I be more basic?” The plain truth is that those leggings and flannel are just comfy and dang cute and like myself, pumpkin probably tastes good to a lot of collegiate women. We, as young women, may feel it’s funny or okay to be belittled as the classic joke of the stereotype. However we would much rather and should strive to promote ideas of women’s uniqueness and intelligence in all aspects, big and small. 

This season, I encourage you to order that extra whip on your coffee, spend that little extra time pairing which Alex and Ani bracelets would look perfect with a specific flannel and in all seriousness, don’t let anyone tell you you’re a carbon copy of everyone or anyone else. Allow yourself to be excited about the turning leaves, cool weather, football games, bonfires, haunted houses and pumpkin patches. Laugh at those who find it necessary to belittle and shame you about your excitement because honestly who gets real joy at making fun of every girl in the Starbucks line? How do they define your intelligence, personality and who you are by your wardrobe or drink choice? Contrary to popular belief during this season, it is possible for women to be excited for fall and still unique and intelligent collegiettes’. I know, crazy right?   

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor