This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the holiday season coming up, I thought it would be a good time to post opportunities to help out the Salt Lake community and find ways that we are able to donate to charities across the valley. Many of these charities and non-profits always need donations and volunteers throughout the entire year. However, with the cold winter coming at us in full swing, it’s also great to donate right now to help the underprivileged gain access to food, shelter, and clothes to last these coming months.  

The Catholic Community Services

The Catholic Community Services is a great way to give back to the community. They are a service that provides empowerment to underserved communities such as the homeless, refugees, immigrants, those with addictions, and anyone that is going through rough times and may need a little extra help. You are able to donate money directly to them. With these direct monetary donations, you may specify where you would like that donation to go: Homeless Services, Northern Utah Services, or Migration and Refugee Services. If you don’t have a preference, they have an option that lets you donate to where it is needed most. You may also volunteer within any of these services as well as within their administration, maintenance, projects, and donation drives. Check out their website, ccsutah.org, for more information on how to donate and how to volunteer.

Christmas Box House

The Christmas Box House is an organization that works to prevent child abuse and assist youth who have faced abuse, neglect, or homelessness. The Christmas Box House is located in Ogden and has great ways to get involved this holiday season. They have needs lists and wish lists for all their locations throughout the valley ranging from Ogden to Provo to Moab. Click this link here to go directly to their wish list page! They also sell holiday cards. Their holiday cards feature artwork by children that are being served at the Christmas Box House. Each card sold will be able to help children, teens, and young adults who are being served by The Christmas Box House. Go to their website, https://thechristmasbox.org to find more information on what to donate and how to donate. 

The Road Home

The Road Home is a shelter that provides comfort and basic needs to individuals and families experiencing homelessness within Salt Lake County. They provide emergency shelters, emergency services, case management, and housing to those who are homeless. With this harsh winter coming in, they are asking for monetary donations as well as clothing donations. The Road Home is asking for clothing that is new or gently used. Click here to see what is on their ‘Urgent Needs’ list as well as their ‘General Needs List’. As well as donations, you are also able to volunteer with The Road Home. You may volunteer to serve meals at their men’s shelter, their Candy Cane Corner, or their Holiday Mediathon. 

The Ronald McDonald House, Utah

Within the Salt Lake Valley, we have great resources for treating illnesses and diseases within our healthcare especially for children. Families that travel to Salt Lake for treatment have the opportunity to stay at the Ronald McDonald House. The Ronald McDonald House provides housing, food, and transportation to and from doctors’ appointments for these families. Throughout the year, they are always willing to take in any volunteers that would like to volunteer at the house. They also accept monetary donations as well that go directly to the Ronald McDonald House of Utah. Another great way to donate to this non-profit is through their wish list found here. If you have a group of friends or coworkers that would like to donate, sign up to “Adopt a Meal”. With this program, you are able to have a group of up to 15 people make a meal for families that are living at the house. This is a great idea to get a group of friends together right before your holiday party!

Being able to give back to the community is such an extraordinary thing to do, especially with the tough winter coming. Even though it is the holiday season, and this is the time to give back, think about making your donations or volunteering time monthly, or maybe even weekly! Get a friend or a group of friends to go on a shopping trip and find things on the wish lists above and take them to the organization together. Being able to give back can create a butterfly effect for years to come. 

Health Education and Promotion Major with an Anthropology Minor; Community Health emphasis. Just your average 24 year old trying to scramble her way through everyday life.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor