person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

How to Get Your Inspiration Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Inspiration fuels our existence. It’s all around us, it’s a part of us, it’s in everything we do. But sometimes, we lose our inspiration and life seems to get a little tougher, and maybe a little less exciting. Speaking as someone who is basically fueled by inspiration, I can attest that those times when I lose it can be difficult to recover from. I often find that without inspiration, it’s hard to keep myself going, and hard to motivate myself to get out there and do all the things that I know I should be doing, because staying on the couch and watching Netflix would just be so, so much easier. But I’ve grown to realize that I (we) cannot let these blips stop me (us). Everyone goes through periods like this in their lives, and I truly believe that there is a way for everyone to pull themselves out. But just in case you need a pointer in the right direction, here are some of the things I do to get my mojo back:

1. Pinterest boards

Maybe a little cliché, but finding new Pinterest boards is a huge source of inspiration for me! Whether it’s clothing, room décor, tiny tattoos, or dream homes — you name it, I use Pinterest as a fun way to envision what I want my life to look like. This, in turn, helps me start to visualize what I need to do to get there. Boom, inspiration is back in action! Call it a little jump start to the law of attraction.

2. Instagram explore page

This strategy is really similar to the Pinterest boards, just on another platform. Instagram explore always has fun stuff to scroll through, and after 5 minutes, I often find myself 7 accounts deep in the world of aesthetically pleasing fashion bloggers (bonus points if I can locate the account they have set up for their dogs). Once again, it’s the kind of thing where I see it, I want it, so I figure out what I need to do to get there. This isn’t an impulsive or bad thing by any means – it’s simply coming up with a strategy to live your best life, the life you really deserve.

3. Inspirational quotes

“Oh no,” you might be thinking, “not another round of inspirational quotes!” Okay, I admit, this one can get *very* 8th grade Tumblr, but if you look in the right places, you can easily stumble across a goldmine. Now, I’m not saying that a single quote in italic font on a blank page is going to completely turn your life around, but if you read enough of them, they can start to change your outlook on things. My personal favorite are those that inspire girl power because let’s be honest, that is pretty damn inspiring.

4. Friends who amp you up

Really, this is just my answer to any problem, but having friends who amp you up and inspire you is really a game changer. You don’t even have to have the same interests — just find a crew who can support you and be proud of you and help lift you up when you need it! It’s a family affair – you all will inspire each other in different ways at different times, in different ways, but it can make all the difference.

Inspiration can be found anywhere, really. It comes in different forms for different people though, so don’t feel bad if the things that inspire your friends aren’t what inspire you. Take some time to figure out for yourself what kicks you into gear and gets you excited about life!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor