How to Get Out of Awkward Situations on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Awkward situations with your peers, professors and friends on campus attack when you least expect it, and they can be quite difficult to ease out of. If you’re at a loss for how to remove yourself from an unwanted suitor, uncomfortable acquaintance, or a conversation heading south, don’t worry; I’ve got you covered!

Safe Words

Have a word or phrase planned with friends that you guys know is code for “get me the hell out of here.”

Is a guy rambling to you about how much you look like his ex at a party? Text your friend “banana” and she’ll come running. Likewise, if a friend yells to you from across the hall asking if you have to do number 8 on the history homework, that’s how you know it’s time for a rescue mission. Swing in, grab your friend by the arm, and steer her away telling her loudly that you need her RIGHT NOW. It doesn’t matter how crazy you look if you’re saving face for a friend .You know she’d do the same for you.

Fake a Text

This is a modern method for the digital age. Many of us have a nasty habit of casually checking our phones mid-conversation, even if just for a moment. Fortunately, we can use this to our advantage.

Are you in the middle of a conversation going south? Slip out your phone as if you’re doing it unconsciously, then put on your best distressed face and say “I’m sorry, it’s my mom. I have to call her right now!” Odds are you won’t be asked why. Most people have their own reasons as to why they need to call their Mom back ASAP. Apologize and quickly walk away, and then actually call your mom. Let’s face it, you probably should. She worries.

Little Girl’s Room

The bathroom is a sacred space. The opposite gender once imagined our rest rooms as something out of a Katy Perry music video with wonderland candy and stalls where girls can talk, reapply makeup and change clothes in their own haven of pink decor and vanilla scented soap. Male expectations of what goes on in a lady’s room may have gotten more realistic, but this “what the hell do they do in there?” mystery lives on and will work in your favor.

If you’re having an uncomfortable encounter with a guy or the conversation heads down hill, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom and suddenly you can take all the time in the world without seeming rude. If the situation is so uncomfortable you want to permanently remove yourself from it, run to the little girl’s room, hang out for a bit, and then sneak away while texting, “a girl is having an problem in here and I’m helping out.” Few to no questions will be asked, guaranteed.

Honesty, Honestly

Man oh man did I recently learn this one the hard way. Nothing will ease an awkward situation like some old fashion honesty.

Did you make a mistake and create an icy silence between you and a friend? Own up and apologize. Did someone say something offensive to you? Call them out. Is someone hitting on you and not getting the hint that you’re not interested? Tell them flat out. Social escape routes can be so helpful, but in truth they’re temporary quick fixes. The only way to really change a situation for yourself is to do the bravest thing you can do: be honest about your feelings and deal with the consequences.

Know the Difference

There’s a fine line between an uncomfortable situation and a dangerous one. Taking a class or two in self defense is always a good idea.

Until you can get your booty to a class, there are some great tips you can find online at sites like lifehacker.com. Don’t be afraid to call campus security at 801-581-8669. They’ll give you a ride from one area of campus to another any time of night!

No matter what you choose to do, awkward situations on campus are nearly impossible to avoid. College is a world of faux pas, missed social cues and miscommunication – in other words, a learning environment. If you’re smart about your resources and know who you can trust, you can handle just about any awkward situation you’re tossed into. Good luck! 

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!