How to Become a Professional Bullet Journaler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

At the beginning of every year, many of us set goals to improve ourselves. Many make pacts to go to the gym more often, eat a better diet, or read more. Although life gets busy, it’s important to hold yourself accountable for achieving your goals and alloting specific time slots during the day to make sure you can. One of my goals for the new year was to learn how to bullet journal. As a busy college student, I don’t always have time to write seven paragraphs about how my day went, what I’m feeling, and what is currently going on in my life. For this reason, I turned to bullet journaling. Bullet journaling is summarizing everything important about your life and writing it down alongside drawings and designs. Bullet journals can also be used for trackers, charts, and planning out your weeks. I believe that everyone should bullet journal. Not only is journaling proven to help you stay more organized and relieve stress, but it can also boost your memory and engage self reflection. If you want to become a professional bullet journaler, here are the best tips to get started!

1) Start Small

One belief that I hold about myself is that I’m not creative, and I made a goal to boost my creativity this year. Yet when I opened my fresh journal to start making extravagant pictures and designs, I was at a loss. I had all these amazing ideas, but didn’t feel that I could execute them, and I quickly became discouraged. After browsing Pinterest for the best bullet journaling inspiration, I learned that it’s okay to start small. You don’t have to be a professional at first. Begin by looking at inspiration and watching tutorials, and then allow your mind to float freely. Before you know it, you’ll be filling your journal pages with original drawings and immaculate trackers.

2) Set Goals First

If you already have predetermined goals, it is a lot easier to start making goal trackers and charts. For example, I made a goal to do yoga at least once a week. I drew 52 small boxes, and now I just check off a box whenever I have completed a yoga session for the week. By beginning with your goals, you don’t have to put much effort into what will go on each page.

3) Make a Highlight Bubble for Each Day

As I mentioned earlier, it’s difficult to take 30 minutes out of your day to write in your journal. With bullet journaling, you don’t need to. All you need to do is create a dialogue bubble and put the highlight of your day within the bubble. When you look back on your year, you’ll have 365 speech bubbles filled with hilarious moments throughout your daily life.

Bullet journaling is easy, so don’t be intimidated by it. Since bullet journaling is easy to adopt and time-friendly, it’s really easy to integrate into your daily routine. With these simple tips, you’ll be a professional in no time. Happy bullet journaling!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sophomore at the University of Utah studying Strategic Communications
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor