nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

How to be More Environmentally Friendly when Shopping for Beauty Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I know as well as anyone the struggles of finding the right hair-care products, skin-care routine, and makeup that suits my lifestyle best. Although there are many factors that go into the right beauty products for you, one thing that should be kept in mind is the impact these products have on the environment. Whether it’s unnecessary plastic waste, unethical animal testing, or the use of harmful chemicals that are not so good for yourself or the environment, being aware of where your beauty products come from and what ingredients are inside of them is important! To start the new year off right by not only being kind to yourself but also the environment, here are a few tips to be aware of when shopping for beauty products.

Stay away from:

Exfoliating Microbeads

These microbeads were super popular a few years back in products like face wash until it was discovered how bad they really are for the environment. These microbeads are so small that they bypass waste-water filtration systems and end up polluting natural waterways. It got so bad that 6 states have already banned products that contain microbeads. If you find yourself still using them, opt for a more environmentally friendly alternative to exfoliating like sugar or coffee scrubs.

BHA and DBP

There is a lot of controversy surrounding BHA and DBP due to the fact that they are both potential hormone disrupters which could be linked to cancer. Although this research is not conclusive and the FDA has deemed it ok in small doses, BHA and DBP have been found to be extremely toxic to aquatic organisms. DBP is usually found in cheap nail polishes, while BHA is usually found in food, lipstick and eyeshadow. A lot of beauty companies have already opted away from the use of these ingredients because of the controversy surrounding them, so it’s really just about finding the right products.

Products with excessive packaging

Unnecessary packaging on any product is one of my biggest pet peeves simply because we already produce so much plastic waste, and it the waste we already produce is extremely bad for the environment. When buying beauty products, try to find products that come in bulk to eliminate some plastic waste.

Do your research:

Looking into a beauty company before purchasing their products is a good way to know how environmentally ethical they are. Buying beauty products that indicate that they are cruelty-free is a good way to stay away from companies that test on animals. Another thing to look for is if they recycle or reuse any of their packaging.

Being environmentally cautious when using beauty products is extremely important. When we all make small changes to our lifestyle, it can drastically change the outcome of our future. Treat yo self with good beauty products that are good for the environment, too! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor