This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Having naturally thick, wavy/curly hair can be a real challange. People would look at my hair and think I must use heat on it constantly, or have killed it with bleach. Nope. My hair is naturally dry as hell, thank you very much. In the past 18 years I have learned a lot about hair management and the best products to use. Here are some essential tips for keeping your beach waves healthy.

1. Use sulfate-free shampoo

A lot of shampoo and conditioners trick you by mentioning how they’re paraben free, so you don’t think twice about what else could be in there. Before buying in on this marketing trick, read the ingredients on the back. The first ingredient in every hair product should be water and if it isn’t, keep walking. Make sure there are no sulfates or other harmful chemicals, and from there it’s about preference. To view all the harmful chemicals to avoid in beauty products, click this link: http://www.healthychild.org/chemicals-to-avoid-in-your-personal-care-pro…

(Try Jason’s Mosturizing Aloe Vera Shampoo and Condtioner).

2. What does your hair need?

If your hair is dry, get products that contain lots of oils like coconut, moroccon, vitamin E oil, and keratin. Another hack I learned while in Thailand is aloe vera. If you’re ever on the beach or on vacation and don’t want to trust a gas station in Jamaica for hair products, snag a bottle of aloe vera and slather it on.

3. Embrace your color

If you’re aiming for smooth luscious hair, you’re going to have to give something up. Avoid the bleach this Spring, and let your hair heal! If you can’t stand your natural hair and you absolutely must add color, stay within a few shades or you’ll end up chopping your ends within the month.

4. Condition, Condition, Condition.

Wether you’re like me and only need to wash your hair once a week, or, your hair gets oily within a day, listen up. Half the time you jump in the shower, the typical wash and repeat will work, but skip shampoo the other half of the time to avoid drying out your hair. Rinse your hair with water and condition the ends and you’re done. Your hair will thank you later.

5. Never brush your hair while it’s wet

When hair gets wet, it becomes very elastic and simply put, brushing wet hair causes major breakage. Alternatively, brush your hair before washing it or comb through it with your hands after.

6. Bring your conditioner or leave-in to the water

If you’re like most people, chlorine dries out your hair. Before jumping in, put your conditioner or leave-in of choice. 

7. Accept the consequences of living in a desert

Utah is your hair’s enemy. If you’re not planning on moving to Cali or Costa Rica anytime soon, pamper your hair, or accept the consequences.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor