Her Creative Writing: Dark Meadows and Majestic Beasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I flipped the time turner over on my bedside table, watching the tiny grains of sand slowly fall to the bottom. Excitement pricked at my skin, and invaded my bloodstream, knowing it would only be moments until I saw him.  I lied down on my bed, and closed my eyes until the blinding bright light flashed against my eyelids. To a stranger it would appear as if I was sleeping soundly in my bed. The reality, my mind was racing through time. A green blur started to appear then slowed to form the shape of tall pine trees. This is where I belonged; this was home.

Tall grass tickled my legs as I walked toward the patch of wild flowers. Gold specs puffed out of the daisies, as if they were sneezing magic into the world around them.

Where was he?

I started to scan the forest. Searching for him. Jerek should have been able to smell me as soon as I stepped foot on the grass; why was it taking him so long to find me?

Worry started to stick to the back of my throat, making it hard to swallow. I ran my hand through my violet hair as I stood there, in the middle of the wild hiccupping daisies.

A low growl made my whole body freeze; I looked toward the noise and for the first time, wished this was a dream, and that this creature crouched a few feet in front of me was the start of a nightmare. I remembered Jerek telling me, if you ever run into a Redic, the only thing you can do is try to make yourself as small as possible. Redic’s appeared to be half Lion, half Cheetah, but mostly filled with pride. If you stood taller than them, they saw that as a threat and would instantly tear you to shreds.

I could almost hear Jerek’s voice in the back of my head,

Sit down slowly.

Don’t make eye contact.

As I started to slowly squat down, I heard a familiar growl that still made my heart stop. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a huge, dark-form emerge from behind the trees, chasing after what looked like an albino panther.  

Jerek.

The Redic started to cower and took its predatory glare off of me, following the white creature into the forest within seconds, leaving me alone with the gigantic wolf. I stood up slowly as the massive beast approached me. Red hues glinted off of his black coat when the sun hit it. I held out my hand, and tangled my fingers through his fur.

I would never get used to watching him transform from the guardian of the forest, and into the man I spent each night visiting; rather than sleeping. He pulled me into his bare arms, instantly warming my entire body. My fingers trailed against his rough skin, feeling his muscles vibrate and his ridged scars under the tips of my fingers. The haggard marks covered his legs, and up his torso.  I tucked his dark hair behind his ear to reveal his golden eyes, staring intently at me. I was inches away from his face but my body craved to be closer.

“Hi love, we’re running out of time.” He said, picking me up.

I wrapped my legs around his bare torso, and felt a trail of goose bumps decorate the back of my neck. He was right, I could feel the effects wearing off, the flowers around us started to turn black, creating shadows and chasing out the warmth. I clung to him tighter, knowing each time I saw him, would be shorter and shorter. My head spun as I tried to remember the last time I saw him. This world is real, he is real.

“Stay with me,” he said, leaning into me.

I kissed him roughly, thrusting my body against his. If I chose to stay, I knew I would be stuck here forever. But would that be so bad? I wondered if the meadow would stay dark if I chose to remain here. Perhaps the toxins I inhaled to get here were leaking out of my skin, destroying the beauty around me. I took one last look at the dark meadow and majestic beast in front of me, before letting the buzz take me back to reality. Or was It stealing me away from the only thing that kept my lungs breathing, my heart pounding, and my mind spinning.

I love Cabins surrounded by trees and words that combine into a beautiful story. Creating stories from my awkward life experiences is almost as great as listening to a rainstorm pattering against my window as I drift off to sleep. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor