Halloween shows at Kingsbury Hall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As we begin the stunning albeit rocky transition from summer to fall, we grow closer to one of my favorite holidays: Halloween. Carving pumpkins, the craze of finding the perfect costume, all leading up to that eerie night where those bloodcurdling ghost stories you were told as a child might, just might, come to life. I believe trick-or-treating to be somewhat timeless, though many would disagree (to be fair, I have seen some examples that almost change my mind). So if you belong to the latter group or are simply looking for a new Halloween-time tradition, our Kingsbury Hall on campus is just the place you’re looking for. During this last week of October and the first few weeks of November, there are several shows and performances available to students (at a discount!) that are guaranteed to give you chills.

One of the most popular performances, and for good reason, is Thriller. This once-a-year production features many characters from some of our favorite Halloween stories such as Frankenstein and the Curse of the Mummy. With the use of pyrotechnics, theatrical foggers, and strobe lights, Thriller literally thrills with its vibrant rendition of popular Halloween stories. Thriller is slightly more expensive because of its popularity but deals do exist, such as the two-for-the-price-of-one when you buy tickets the day of the show. Thriller runs through October 31 and shows at 2:00 and 7:30.

If pyrotechnics and special effects aren’t your cup of tea, the Performing Dance Company’s Fall Season show is the perfect alternative. Running from October 25th to the 27th, the Fall Season show features dancers from the U’s Modern Dance department as well as guest work from artist John Beasant. Tickets for students are only $8, perfect for an outing with your friends or a night with that special someone.

For those of you who prefer a little more old-timey enjoyment, the Utah Philharmonica Halloween will literally be music to your ears. Showcasing the Haunted Orchestra at Gardner Hall, this performance has two shows on the 25th and 26th and only costs $3 for students!

Now, I can’t forget the true Halloween fans: the ones who relish in the gloom and gruesomeness that permeates the October air. For you and you only, we have the Tony award winning Sweeney Todd musical to quench your thirst for violence and gore. Running all the way through the dregs of November, Sweeney Todd is “a chilling, suspenseful masterpiece” and is free for students with ID.

Who knew Halloween fun could be so wallet-friendly? No matter how much or how little you dished out for that fabulous Halloween costume, now you can be confident that you’ve got less stress in the financial department and many more places to go!

For more information on these shows, visit the Kingsbury Hall Web site.

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!