Cotton Balls &_Q Tips
Cotton Balls &_Q Tips
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

Grove Collaborative is Your Inner Neat Freak’s Wet Dream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Maybe I’m alone in this, but since I’ve gotten older I’ve become a really big fan of cleaning and all of the gadgets and gizmos you can buy to make the process even more enjoyable. There’s something about seeing something dirty become clean and subsequently knowing you’re living in a newly cleaned area that satisfies like no other. In exploring this new passion, I’ve also become super engaged with sustainability within the cleaning industry. The amount of plastic, water, animal testing, and toxic chemicals that can go into your cleaning supplies can be disturbing. However, because of this newfound public interest in sustainability, there are a good handful of companies that have made it their mission to introduce more sustainable options into the industry. My new favorite of these is Grove Collaborative.

So… What is it?

Grove Collaborative is a “flexible recurring shipment service”, which basically means you sign up for their service, fill up a basket full of goodies, and then you can set up that same order to ship every month. You can also change what’s in your shipment, or edit your shipment dates at your convenience. All of their products are non-toxic, effective, sustainable and cruelty-free, and while they have their own line of cleaning products, they also sell a plethora of other well-known brands like Mrs. Meyer’s, method, and Seventh Generation. This means that I can still get some of my favorite products (like method hand soap) while shopping with Grove.

But what do they sell?

One of my favorite things about Grove is the variety of products they sell. In my search for sustainable and cruelty-free products, I’ve found it difficult to get items to fill the gaps of more destructive products, especially when looking through my local grocery stores. But with Grove, it’s like a whole new world has opened up. From Washing Machine Cleaner to Pro-Biotic Air Freshener, Grove offers an incredibly wide variety of products that I didn’t even know were possible.

Okay, so how are they sustainable?

Grove carbon-offsets every shipment they make (which means that they donate the equivalent of their estimated carbon footprint through projects that reduce pollution) and as of March 10, 2020, they are 100% plastic neutral. Through their partnership with Plastic Bank, Grove recovers and recycles the equivalent weight of plastic that they use in ocean-bound plastic. Grove has also committed to being 100% plastic-free by 2025, promising to use more glass and aluminum in their packaging, as well as rethinking the products within their personal brand.

Grove’s adaptability, transparency, and overall supply have me hooked. I have a reminder set up in my phone to check out my Grove order every month. Every time it pops up I get so excited to see what’s new and fill out my order! They also send out emails to give you a rundown of their latest products and, while that can get annoying after the third or fourth email, it’s still really fun to check out what it is they’re excited about. All in all, if you’re looking to become more sustainable, more cleanly, or you just get really excited about soap, check out Grove.

Ailish Harris is a Stage Management and Performing Arts Design transfer student at the University of Utah. She's originally from Salt Lake City, UT, but was lucky enough to attend Emerson College in Boston, MA for her first 3 semesters of college. She has written for both Her Campus Emerson and Her Campus Utah, and is the current Editor in Chief for Her Campus Utah! She is a student leader in many capacities, working as the Secretary for Stage Managers at the U and as the Historian for the Department of Theatre's Student Advisory Committee. She loves Halloween, cooking, theatre, documentaries, organization, fashion, her pet hedgehog Chester, true crime, and Her Campus!
With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations.