sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Greek Life: Why It’s So Much More Than Social Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s a common belief and misconception that Greek life is just parties and social events. I can’t count the amount of time that people, including my closest friends, have asked me why I would be involved in Greek life when all it did was waste my time. How did I get anything else done? Actually, Greek life has helped to expand many different areas of my life and created many opportunities for involvement. Here’s a peek at some other aspects of Greek life that many people may not know about.

1. Philanthropy: As a member of a social Greek sorority, I can personally attest to being asked the very common question: “So what is it? Partying and taking pictures and crafts?” I take offense to that, (partly because, yes Pinterest, mod-podge and basic fall pictures are a huge part of my life; why are you judging me?) but mostly because the first retort that comes to mind to answer that question is our work and time spent in philanthropy. Philanthropy is so important to me, personally, and I know it a big deal to my sisters as well as many members in Greek life. As a national community, Greek life gives an annual average of $7 million and 850,000 hours to all different types of philanthropies through many types of fundraising, hands on service, events, benefits etc. FYI that number comes from a lot more than “a mandatory 10 hours per each member” As an organization, Greeks truly enjoy giving back. My sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, philanthropy is the prevention and awareness of domestic violence. I joined this house, largely because of the philanthropy and seeing how passionate my sisters were during recruitment. This was not an obligation to these women, it was something they had the privilege of doing and truly enjoyed. I am so grateful to have had a part in fundraising for the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition, working in battered women’s shelters and homes and many other opportunities. 
  2. The Sisterhood/Brotherhood: “So…. What? You like, pay for your friends?” No, I do not actually. Before I jump into talking about the amazing sisterhood my house has provided me, I would like to take a moment to address this ridiculous idea that Greeks pay for their friends. We pay dues that go towards the maintenance of our house, our national headquarters, food for chapter dinners and events such as formals, date nights and exchanges. We are not paying for our friends. The relationships I have with my sorority sisters- the women in my pledge class, my big, etc. are 100% priceless. By being Greek, I have the privilege of going to my home of 100 women, who will support me, pick me up when I am down and be there for late night Ugurt runs no matter what. We are a family and while not everyone will always get along, I know that these women have my back. 
  3. Lifelong skills: I always believed I was the chattiest bubbly and social person around. I went through recruitment and was completely in awe at how great of conversationalists these women were. They seemed kind, genuine, and friendly and as if they truly were beyond excited to meet me, even if I was the 6th party of a very long day. I knew that I wanted these skills too. Being in a sorority has helped me discover leadership opportunities, work to perfect my conversation skills, and feel comfortable giving speeches in front of large crowds. When going through recruitment this year, I felt so confident talking to these girls and sometimes, getting the same reactions from them, which I was giving my year going through. Being Greek pushes you to become more social and step away from your comfort zone. Not only are you around your sisters, you are interacting with other members in the Greek community, alumni, faculty members, etc. My sorority hosts an event called Apple Pie with Alpha Chi where we invite a professor to our house to have a chance to talk with them. I have now had the opportunity to host 3 of my professors at my sorority house and get to talk to them on a more personal level, which is something I never would have gained without my sorority.
  4. Lifelong opportunities: It’s not for four years, it’s for life. It’s the opportunities you can gain from, not only the skills you develop, but from what being Greek can provide for you. There are internships specifically for Greek-oriented opportunities, which can turn into careers. For example, one of our sisters went to a convention and met an alumnus who then was able to help her with an application for an internship with Alpha Chi Omega headquarters. She went on to working for our nationals’ fulltime. Greek life all over the nation provides opportunities for leadership, personal development and future success. To name just a few success stories…85% of executives at Fortune 500 companies have been Greek members. Of the nation’s largest 50 corporations, 43 are headed by Greek alumni. 76% of all congressmen and senate have been Greek as well as all but 2 presidents, since the time of social fraternities beginning. In addition, over 70% of Greek members graduate from undergraduate colleges while fewer than 50% of students not involved in Greek life do. Greek life provides not only opportunities of friendship, social events and philanthropy, but as well as opportunities of academic success and helps build futures. 

It doesn’t hurt to be Greek. In fact, it provides opportunities in service, academics, building connections, lifelong skills and much more. While we do enjoy our social events, we are gathered for many more purposes and make great impacts as a community. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor