This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Break ups are never fun.  It’s never pleasant to have to tell someone that your relationship isn’t what you want.  It’s never fun to have someone else tell you that either.  But it happens.  It happens to everyone in one way or another.  Some people more than others and some people less, its just part of life.  It teaches us what we want out of a relationship and what we don’t want.  It can teach us to love ourselves regardless if other people do. It teaches us to make tough decisions and handle tough situations.  Break ups are healthy. 

You also probably think I’m talking about a break up with a significant other.  Someone you’re romantically involved with.   Don’t get me wrong those break ups hurt like hell.  But today I’m talking about friend break ups.  Those suck.  It’s tough to see someone you thought you’d have at your wedding, as a god parent to your kids, there through thick and thin leaving your life.  Maybe they were the one who decided the friendship was over.   Maybe it was you.  Maybe it was a little of both.  Either way it’s never a good feeling.   But I’ll tell you right now that whatever the circumstances it’ll be ok.  And here’s why:

People are meant to come and go throughout your life.  As soon as you come to accept that, a lot of things become easier.  Disclaimer: Just because I said this don’t go dropping people from your life the second they screw up in your eyes.  Your friends will make mistakes and furthermore you will make mistakes.  Do your best to hang on to the relationships in your life that are good.  Don’t cut someone off on a whim; you’ll regret it.  Remember to be a forgiving and understanding friend. But if someone in your life is not making you happy you shouldn’t feel the need to maintain and care for that relationship.  The other way around is true as well.  If your presence doesn’t make someone happy don’t feel bad if the relationship withers.  If a friendship is meant to flourish both people will enjoy the others company. 

One of the trickiest but best lessons you can learn in life is how to let people who aren’t good for you go.  And to also understand that when someone lets you go it’s for the best and you have plenty of other fulfilling friendships to look forward to in the future.  Collegiettes, we are all so young!  We have so many more people to meet.  We also are going to change as people so we can’t expect our friendships to stay the same if we don’t.  Growing and changing is part of life.  Friendships growing and changing is too.  

Communications major at the University of UtahDiet Coke and sea monster enthusiastTrying to change the world one sarcastic article at a time
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor