Friendly Reminders for the Hopeful College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I am not a morning person. Not even close. I love to sleep in more than I love most things in the world, but like every good student I wake up for my morning classes (despite being horrendously late). I book it out the door, and I show up just as the teacher begins their lecture. It is beyond a habit for me now. It is a lifestyle. A skill finely honed by years of experience and practice. Like I said, I am not a morning person. Today, however, was an exception and a welcome one. I still woke up late. I woke up with a headache also. I barely had enough time to get ready, and begin my daily walk down the hill to class.

On the walk, I was overcome with an incredible rush of gratitude. It was cold –freezing –and my fingers were turning numb when I caught a breath of fresh, clean, cool air. I turned to look at the sun rising over the mountains and was taken away by the sound of the leaves still in the trees and the light peeking through them. It was beautiful. One of the most beautiful mornings I have experienced yet on campus, yet it wasn’t out of the ordinary at all. It was beautiful because for that moment I was truly and simply appreciating my new world. In that moment all my nagging thoughts, insecurities, fears, and obligations faded away. There was only light, fresh air, and hope. Suddenly, I was remembering the beauty I so often take for granted. I was remembering all the opportunities waiting for me to grab them, and I remembered how grateful I am for all the people encouraging me to go after my dreams. Gratitude filled me from my cold toes to my hair glowing in the sunrise.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/01/bf/77/01bf77ba4afeb4f9f9e3943e6662c19a.jpg 

It is so important to remember and be grateful. It is incredibly powerful to be mindful and appreciate all the wonderful things happening to you, for you, around you, and because of you. So, here is a list of just some of the incredible things to love and appreciate today, right now.

1. You are loved.
  2. You are incredible.
  3. You are worthy of tremendous things.
  4. Today is another opportunity to do something amazing.
  5. Waking up and facing the day is a feat worthy of celebration.
  6. It is okay to struggle.
  7. There is very little a good cup of coffee, tea, or a satisfying meal cannot ease.
  8. This is just another challenge to face with courage and overcome.
  9. Take good care of yourself.
  10. Everything happens for a reason and is a wonderful opportunity to grow and learn more about yourself.
  11. Even class is a is a blessing. It is opening doors and windows with every second.
  12. Work is too. It allows you to provide for yourself and others and pursue more opportunities.
  13. Be kind to yourself.
  14. You make someone else’s day better.
  15. There is always someone you could call or text. Reach out to them.
  16. You are important.
  17. Beautiful things are all around you. Take the time to appreciate them.
  18. You are never truly alone.
  19. It is going to be okay.
  20. You are worth it.
  21. Something happened today to be grateful for.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/58/df/33/58df330b3bec8ebcb0fdc9036dcc39ea.jpg

Some of these may not resonate with you. That is alright. Replace the ones that do not work for you with ones you create just for you. Remember, you are a powerhouse, a creator, a wonder. Be kind to yourself and I hope one day you wake up and remember to enjoy the world around you. As far as we know for sure, this is the only life we have and the only planet we get to live on. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Appreciate it. Gratitude is a powerful, liberating thing. Remember to be mindful and grateful. Today is a new day, morning person or not, make it yours.

Kayla Lee

Utah '22

Hey there! I am delighted to share my articles with you!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor