This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Spring break is fast approaching, and for most of us, that means we will finally get some time to do the things we want to do during the school year but never have time for. Some may want to use that time to party and socialize, some may want to acquire a new skill, but anyone like me (aka a nerd) wants to finally cross a book off their extensive reading list. There are so many good books that have come out in the past few months, that it can be hard to keep track of what you might want to read, so I am here to make your job a little easier. All of these books are just long enough to get you through spring break without monopolizing all of your time. Here are my 2020 spring break book recommendations, all of which are written by incredible women. 

Books On A Shelf
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

“Hitting a Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick” – Zora Neale Hurston (304 pages)

This book is a brilliant collection of stories about sexism, racism, class, gender, migration, and love that reflect African American culture in a beautiful and proud way. The book includes eight ‘lost’ stories that give the reader a unique insight into the lives of past Americans and make a huge contribution to American literature as we know it today. Each story is full of wit, heart, and electricity and shows the growth of Hurston as a writer, all while illustrating very interesting and humorous portraits of black lives and communities across America. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the human condition and for those who crave humor and diversity in their lives. 

“Minor Feelings” – Cathy Park Hong (224 pages)

This collection of essays attempts to explain the Asian American condition and the experiences of those who belong to the most economically divided group in the country. Hong exposes the truth of racialized consciousness in America by telling the stories of people who experience the same label but very different lives, and she calls into question the lies that she has been told her whole life about her racial identity. This book is a very honest piece of work that will open your eyes to the psychological condition of being Asian American. It uses sly humor, and the incredible talent of Hong to give its readers a glimpse into the Asian American psyche and to uncover the truth that surrounds it. This book is perfect for anyone looking to broaden their horizons and learn a lot about a very vast and complex culture in our country. 

“We Wish You Luck” – Caroline Zancan (320 pages)

This is a wild novel about a group of students who take revenge on their professor after she destroys one of their own. It follows three grad students who are mysteriously brilliant as they weave together a story of friendship, passion, competition, envy, creativity, and death. The novel is told by the collective narrative voice of its main characters and it is done in an exceptional way. If you enjoy love, death, and sabotage, you can be sure that this book is for you and will definitely liven up your spring break. 

“Topics of Conversation” – Miranda Popkey (224 pages)

This novel is all about conversations between women. It is about the stories they tell each other and the shame, self-sabotage, and love they experience. This is a book about desire, disgust, motherhood, loneliness, art, pain, feminism, envy, and guilt, and it is an incredible account of the lives of women everywhere. It is edgy and will have you hooked from the very start as the narrator recalls 17 years worth of conversations with the women she has encountered in her life in a judgment-free way. It is a very interesting read, and I recommend it to any woman who enjoys a good book about the difficulties of being part of this gender. 

person sitting at the edge of a bed with an open book in their lap and a cup of coffee in hand
Anthony Tran | Unsplash
No matter what you do this spring break, I suggest you read at least one of these books at some point in your life. They are all sure to entertain you and may even change your perception of the world. They are all very well written and are definitely worth your time whether you read them now or in the distant future. Happy spring break!

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor