Football Feature: Utah vs. Arizona State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What do you get when you have the Ute’s in Arizona, Joe Williams on ball runs and 3 Raelon Singleton touchdowns? A Utes win. This past Thursday, the Utah Utes (7-2) took on the Arizona State Sun Devils (5-4) at the Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. With the Utes playing away after a bye week, there was an idea of maybe a little struggle, but let’s just say that it took more than just a few minutes to get into game mode for the Utes. Here are the highlights from Thursday’s game by each quarter.

FIRST QUARTER

With the Utes coming back from a bye week, there was a bit of a struggle with our defense, actually a lot of struggle. The Utes played the worst first quarter that they have played all season against the Sun Devils. The Utes allowed Arizona State to score a total of all the points in the first quarter. With 7 minutes left, Arizona State looks for any possibility of scoring, and Zane Gonzalez kicks a 24-yard field goal for a score of 3-0. 4 minutes left to play in the first quarter, the Arizona State offense makes room for Kalen Ballage to make a 2-yard run into the end-zone for a touchdown, with Gonzalez’s kick giving the extra point. Arizona State 10, Utah 0.

Now, only down to 40 seconds in the first quarter, the Sun Devils put up another 3 points from kicker Zane Gonzalez, to put the score at Arizona State 13, Utah 0, at the end of the first quarter.

SECOND QUARTER

The Utes were not going to let Arizona State take this game, so with Wide Receiver Raelon Singleton back from an injury (that kept him from playing against the Huskies.) Troy Williams knew who to be on the lookout for. With no time to spare and the second quarter under way, Troy Williams throws a 64-yard pass to #11, Raelon Singleton for the first Utah touchdown of the game. Automatic Andy kicks the extra point, to put Utah at a 6-point trail, and the score at Arizona State 13, Utah 7.

BUT WAIT! There’s more.

Only 3 minutes after that play, Troy Williams throws the ball to #80, Siaosi Wilson for a 27-yard pass. With Automatic Andy giving us the extra point. Utah is now in the lead by 1.

Utah 14, Arizona State 13.

Let’s not get too excited, because Arizona State won’t let the Utes go into half time without a little more of a fight. With 3.36 left in the first half, the Sun Devils hand the ball off to N’keal Harry for a 31-yard run, and Gonzalez answers the call for an extra point, now putting Arizona State in the lead with a score of Arizona State 20, Utah 14.

But if you know the Utes, you know that we always like to go into the second half with a lead.

With 22 seconds left, Troy Williams looks for Singleton once again, and what does Singleton do? Catch the ball for a 17-yard pass into the End-Zone, and Andy Phillips giving the extra point. Utah 21, Arizona State 20.

Wondering what happened to Joe Williams? Nothing happened, but with the type of Defense that the Arizona State Sun Devils play, the best type of calls to make are passing calls during this game.

THIRD QUARTER

Ready to take on the rest of the game, and not lose the lead, the Ute’s send in Joe Williams in for a run of 82-yards. Andy Phillips gives the extra point, and gives the Utes a 28 points to Arizona’s 20.

But right before the end of the third quarter, the Sun Devils throw the ball to Tim White for a 12-yard pass, however, with the trail that they have, and the Sun Devils trying to tie the game, they go for a two-point pass conversion, but the Ute’s defense was able to stop it from happening. Utah 28, Arizona State 26.

FOURTH QUARTER

After the third quarter, it seemed as though Arizona State just gave up. Troy Williams looks for Raelon Singleton, and throws the ball for a 24-yard pass into the Arizona State end zone. Andy giving us the extra point, Utah 35, Arizona State 26. What’s worse than falling behind in the fourth quarter at home? Throwing an interception and having them score off of it.

The Arizona State Sun Devils throw the ball, only for Utah’s #22, Chase Hansen to pick the ball for a 34-yard interception return. Andy Philips with the extra point. Utah 42, Arizona State 26.

Well, if you thought it couldn’t get worse for Arizona State, it does. Joe Williams runs the ball for 40-yards into the end-zone with only 3 minutes left in the game. Automatic Andy giving us the extra point. The game ends with a score of Utah 49, Arizona State 26.

This is the first game that the Utah Utes have won in Tempe, Arizona against the Sun Devils since 1976. Not only did they get the win, but the Utes also set a school record with 22 tackle, 11 sacks, 5 of which came from Hunter Dimick. That was enough to break the school’s single-game record. And is now the third all-time in NCAA history. The Utes are now ranked 11 in the AP and Coaches Polls.

The Utes take on the Oregon Ducks (who have not been doing well this season and are at a 3-7 record.) this Saturday in the LAST home game of the regular season, But the biggest challenge that the Ute’s face? Colorado. Believe it or not, Utah is ranked 11th, while our neighbor state comes in at 12th in the latest AP Polls.

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor