Football Feature: Utah Tears Down the Dam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What a week it was for the Utes over the relaxing, yet seemingly short fall break. This past week, while some of you visited your family back home, took a road trip with friends, worked or studied all week, or just did nothing at all, the Utah Utes 5-1 football team took a flight to the rainy city of Corvallis, Oregon to face the Oregon State Beavers.

Although it was rainy, windy and foggy in Oregon, it was nothing but sunshine for the Utes.

While Utah lost one of their best and healthiest running backs last week to a knee injury, the Utes were faced with a decision: to bring Joe Williams out of retirement. If you didn’t know, the Utes Running Back, Joe Williams, retired from college football after the BYU game, saying that it was physically taking a toll on him, but Whittingham and the rest of the Utah coaching staff made a call, asking to see if Williams would come play the game once again.

FIRST QUARTER

The Utes have always been a team to come back in the second half of the game, but when they faced the Beavers, the Utes managed to change that dynamic in this game. With only 4:37 left in the first quarter, fresh out of retirement Joe Williams ran the ball into the end zone for a touchdown, sending Andy Phillips in for the extra point. Then with only a few seconds left in the first quarter, the Utes were able to get another 2 points because of a safety that was called by the referees.

SECOND QUARTER

While nothing too exciting happened in the second quarter, the Utes managed to hold off and prevent the Beavers from scoring any points. The Utes sent in Andy Phillips to give us an extra three points with a field goal, putting the Utes at 12-0 at the end of the second quarter.

THIRD QUARTER

With halftime over, the Utes scoring in 3 different ways in the first half, and the Beavers ready to attack, the third quarter is under way, but the Utes weren’t able to hold off the Oregon Offense all too well this time around. The Beavers were able to score a running touchdown and get the extra point, putting them at 7 points against Utah’s 12.

FOURTH QUARTER

With only one quarter left, the Utes are determined to tear down the Dam. Troy Williams was able to score another touchdown for the Utes. 19-7. With the third string quarterback in for Oregon, the Beavers were able to add another 7 points to the scoreboard, putting the final score at 19-14. The Oregon State Beavers went through two quarterbacks, due to injuries during this last weekend’s game, but still managed to hold off Utah’s defense fairly well.

While Joe Williams was one of the saving factors in the Utes win this weekend, it is not clear if he will return for the rest of the season.

The Utes and the MUSS go into this weekend against the UCLA Bruins in California, hoping to get a 7-1 winning streak, and a higher ranking in the AP poll.

The Utes are now bowl eligible, 19th in the country and will go into the next home game against Washington, who is the number 5 team.

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor