Football Feature: The Holy War: Utah vs. BYU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

On September 10th, the Utah Utes and the BYU Cougars return once again to the home of the Utes for the most anticipated game of the 2016 season. The Ute’s and the Cougar’s football rivalry starts back up again, after not having had any playing deals into place since 2013. That soon came to an end when the Utah Utes and the Cougars both clinched a spot at the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl last year.

Now, it’s time to break down the numbers and predictions.

The University of Utah is favored to win this weekends game by 3.5 points, in case you haven’t seen the trending hashtag, #LastTimeBYUBeatUtah, the Utes have won the last 5 years of this rivalry.

OFFENSE: BYU may have a bit of an upper hand this week, because in case you don’t know or have been living under a rock, Travis Wilson; former Utes Quarterback, has now graduated, leaving the Utes with an up and coming quarterback to defend the Ute’s title this weekend. BYU on the other hand, has a veteran quarterback. 

DEFENSE: Utah has the advantage when it comes to defense, and is expected to put all of their best players on the field. Look out for #20, Marcus Williams. (Safety)

SPECIAL TEAMS: When it comes to getting a touchdown, it’s all about that extra point that comes right after. Andy Phillips gives the Utes the advantage here. Phillips is ranked as one of the top kickers in the nation. 

To flip the script, BYU has a new head coach this year Kalani Sitake, while the Utes continue with head coach Kyle Whittingham, who is a BYU graduate. He goes into his 12th rivalry game this Saturday.

For the first time since 2013, the Holy War takes place on Utah ground but it won’t be the last: The University of Utah and BYU have agreed to have their rivalry go into the year 2020 (In case you won’t be in attendance this weekend.)

Get your MUSS shirt, hoodies, Utah Man am I chant ready, and your screaming voices warmed up for this weekend, because this sold out game will be nothing short of a war, and while you may not like football, nor care for BYU, this is one game that you do not want to miss. 

Here’s a video link to get you pumped for the upcoming game. 

https://www.facebook.com/jeremiahksl/videos/1268618383150986/ 

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor