Football Feature: The Final Pre PAC-12 Game–San Jose VS. Utah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Utah faced the Spartans of San Jose State University this weekend in the Utes first road game of the season, but they didn’t hold back from showing the San Jose Spartans who is really ready to dominant. 

FIRTS QUARTER

With the home field advantage, the Spartans started off with a good start, the game started at 3-0 with the Spartans giving everyone at home a panic attack, so when the utes sent in the infamous Andy Phillips, he didn’t hold back to tie up the game at 3-3, but we all know that having a tied first half, is not coach Whittingham’s most ideal outcomes, so with two minutes left in the first quarter, Phillips kicks in a 23 yard field goal to give the Utes a 3 point lead.

SECOND QUARTER

Spartans come back into the second quarter ready to dominate, but Utah won’t let that happen. With the Spartans coming into the second quarter scoring their first touchdown of the game, with the extra point going in, giving the Spartans a 4 point lead and putting the score at 10-6. While all of the utes fans, including myself, were at home anxious to see what offense would be capable of doing in the second quarter, Troy McCormik runs the ball into the endzone, giving the utes a six point lead. Then came Andy Phillips to give us that extra point and putting the Utes at a 13-10 score, but before you say the quarter is over, the Utes score another touchdown with 15 seconds left. Giving the Utes a 7-point lead to start the third quarter. 

THIRD QUARTER

To keep it short, the third quarter wasn’t too exciting, becuase nothing happened until there were 3 minutes left in the quarter and that action was all because of the Utes. Giving Utah a 7-point scoring, adding to their already 20-10 point lead, making it 27-10 going into the fourth.

FOURTH QUARTER

If you’re a sports fan, you know that the game is all in the fourth quarter. With the Utes having a 14-point lead, the Spartans looked to even the score, but they landed just a bit short. The Utes managed to add another touchdown and field goal to their 14-point lead, showing all of San Jose State, that Utah wasn’t taking them lightly. The Spartans managed to add a touchdown to the score board, but that wouldn’t be enough to stop the Utah Utes. The Utes finished the game with a score of 34-17. 

The Utes are back at home this Friday to welcome the USC Trojans to Sack Lake City once again. If you don’t recall, the Trojans beat Utah last year with a overwhelming score of 42-24 in California, but the Utes go into the PAC-12 conference with a perfect undefeated record, while the Trojans come into Utah with a 1-2 record. The Trojans lost to Alabama and have already faced Stanford to start off the PAC-12 season. The Trojans were able to clinch a win against local Utah team, the Aggies, two weeks ago. 

USC is favored to win against the Utes by a 3 point lead in OT this week.

If you’re attending the game, don’t forget that it is BLACKOUT and to have your screaming voices ready! We’ll bring you more recaps, collegiettes! 

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor