Five Things to Know Before Choosing Where to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Planning to study abroad can be a stressful process. There is so much to choose from between where you want to go, what program you want to join, and where you want to stay. These five tips will help your planning process be a little less stressful, so you can focus on just how great of a time you’re going to have!

Know Yourself

What kind of social environment do you prefer? Are you a wild child craving late night adventures in a booming metropolis? Or would a small town experience off the beaten path be more comforting? What extracurricular activities do you enjoy? It is also important to consider the overall climate. Do you prefer living near a hot beach wearing flips flops and shorts everyday? Or do cooler temperatures surrounded in snow-covered mountains sound more appealing? Choose carefully! This is your chance to decide what best appeals to you. Live where you want to vacation!

Know The Program You Want 

A major factor to consider is how much support you want. Studying abroad can be scary, and culture shock is common. There are different program options to choose from in order to best suite your needs and ease the transition into a foreign country, making the process as comfortable as possible.

Faculty-led programs allow for you to travel in a group of students from your school with a professor. Usually people choose this program if they plan to go for a specific area of study/minor (i.e. going to Spain and minoring in Spanish). This option provides a lot of support, where you will be guided through your entire experience. This is typically short term, and an opportunity to learn beyond your campus boarders!

Exchange programs literally swap the places of you and another student from a foreign university. If you are looking for independence, hardly any structure and guidance, and immediate culture immersion, this program is for you! With a program so open-ended, you would have plenty of time to explore, take trips within and outside the country (depending on your budget), and meet lots of new faces!

Internship/Service Learning programs give you an opportunity to acquire work and volunteer experience outside of your usual comfort zone! Being a more structured program with a rather set schedule, this program will not allow you full independence and freedom. If you would prefer more support and a resume builder, however, this would be a great option.

Know What Housing You Want 

There are pros and cons for both living in a dorm or with a host family.

Living in a dorm is the closest way of engaging in the “college experience” as any other student attending college in their home country. You are more likely to interact with people your own age, who may be sharing similar experiences as you. Also, most dorms don’t have curfews! If you’re looking for a more independent experience, this could be your best option.

Living with a host family is another great option. If you’re planning to learn another language, this is the best way to have the most interactive experiences first hand. It will also allow you to experience more of the culture. Though this may be less of an independent/free experience, it provides a decent amount of support, creating amazing bonds with another family, and setting you up with places to stay if you ever decide to visit again! 

Know Your Budget

Determining your budget before selecting a program is essential. It’s important to be very aware of the cost of your program, so that you can plan out your budget ahead. Review what your program includes (meal plan, living expenses, travel expenses, etc). Do you plan to be frugal or frivolous? Do you want to travel while abroad? How much spending money should you have for spontaneous weekend adventures, nights at the club, or train tickets to a neighboring city? Don’t put this off until you get there…

Studying abroad can seem like an unrealistic option, especially with an already tight budget, but don’t be too discouraged! There are plenty of scholarship opportunities. Scholarships can be offered through your current school, the school you are planning to attend, your field of study, or even national scholarships that most students don’t even know exist! Don’t let money hold you back. If there’s a will, there’s a way!

Know An Advisor

Don’t hesitate to set up an appointment with a learning abroad advisor. They can really assist in clearing up the confusion, and helping you choose the program and country that best suits you. Go over your goals; what do you want to gain from the experience? When is the best time for you to go? How many credits should you take/can they transfer when you return? Do they offer the classes for your major? There are so many questions to be answered, and it can be very overwhelming if you try going through the process alone.

The University of Utah has an awesome learning abroad program where the first step is simply attending a short meeting to go over the basics. You can then set up an individual appointment to help guide you the rest of the way. If you plan to study abroad, it is never too early to get educated on your options.

Where to locate/contact the learning abroad office at the U:

Learning Abroad

200 South Campus Drive, RM 159

Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0511 

801-581-5849

Kayla Van Hoose 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor