Style > Fashion

Five Late-Summer Beauty & Fashion Looks – to Complete Your Summer Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Are you looking for some classic late Summer looks to add to your wardrobe? Well, I’ve got the perfect solution for you! Five flowy looks you can dress up, or down! Perfect for a sunny day out, or those late Summer weeks when that Fall wind starts to kick in early. Here are a few select looks I’ve created for you, bottom to top – from shoes, clothes, to beauty!

Look 1: Flowy Florals with a Bright Cheek

Looking for a flowy piece to wear out with your sunhat? I recommend the go-to maxi skirt paired with a one-shoulder top for some added flair. I love Saltwater Luxe’s flowery Oliver Top paired with their matching Rex Maxi Skirt. The muted florals on this look are so beautiful! They honestly have so many beautiful floral dresses you can’t go wrong. I recommend taking a look!

I’d pair this look with a classic Dr. Marten combat boot. The Zavala Combat Boot from Famous Footwear is a perfect choice! Their Dr. Marten selection is fantastic if you need a go-to boot or strappy sandal to pair with your summery looks.

And for the face? I’d add some color to these muted florals with Ere Perez’s Carrot Color Pots! My favorite is their crimson red shade in Happy. During Summer, I like to blend on some creamy blush balms to brighten up my face with that bright weather. Their creamy pigmented balm is perfect with 7 beautiful shades. 
What about a lovely perfume to add to your look? You can’t forget the scents, people! For this flowery look, I’d go with Dolce & Gabbana’s The One from Scentbird for a floral, “orange citrus, peach, and lychee fruit” scent. Perfect to match this look!

Look 2: Effortless, Comfortable, yet Subtle Sexy

Everyone needs a classic mini dress, and a stunner I found from Saltwater Luxe is their Sage Mini Dress. Seriously, just see what I’m talking about. So cute and subtly sexy! The deep V neck and flowy short dress is perfect for when you need something quick to throw on during warmer weather. 

I think you could also really dress this up with some beautiful gold jewelry. I think a classic Gold Sequin Chain from Flaire & Co. would really add some elegance to this look. Flaire & Co. is one of my new favorite brands because of how affordable their jewelry is. It’s classic and cute styles are so easy to pair with any outfit so I like to leave a necklace or two out on my table to throw on when I’m in a hurry. You could get their Dainty Chains Bundle for three chains to layer perfectly together. Or! You can get their Magnetic Heart Necklace for a sweet touch to your look.

I think a natural makeup look would work really well with this easy yet subtly sexy outfit. I love wearing Cheekbone Beauty’s Power Brow Gel – I use their brown shade and it makes your eyebrows just a bit more dramatic while still maintaining a more natural look. 

Lastly, I’d pair this dress with a Vans sneaker for an effortless look. Famous Footwear has their Women’s Filmore High Top Shoe in stock to easily add to this look. Sneakers and dresses are an easy go-to for me. Comfort and style, ah…

The scent of choice for this look? Christian Siriano’s Ooh La Rouge. “A sparkling and bright yet rich and intoxicating fragrance with an element of gourmand temptation.” Perfect blend of sexy and bright.

Look 3: Stunning Swimwear with a Touch of Gold

What about swimwear?? Yes, it’s time to take advantage of this warm weather while we still have it and take a dip in the pool. I think I’ve found my new favorite swimwear brand with Nua Swim. Oh my goodness their Gabriella One Piece is probably my new favorite swimsuit. The Diva color is amazing because it has the beautiful red and gold texture look on the front, while remaining comfortable with a smooth swim material underneath. The best part is the straps can be worn several different ways, allowing for an easy fit just how you like. 

If you desire a bikini instead, I think we can change up this swim look by adding Nua Swim’s Leticia Top and Leticia Bottom – their Terra color is quite sexy! They’ve changed up the classic bandeau look by adding a beautiful gold ring in the center. And their adjustable tie detail on their bottoms also makes the look that much more stunning.

Upon browsing Flaire & Co.’s site I also found the perfect watersafe and hypoallergenic belly chains to go with this look. I recommend their Two Layer Dainty Waist Chain in Silver, or if you’re sticking to gold, I’d definitely go with their Herringbone Waist Chain in Gold. Adding a waist chain to your swimwear instantly enhances your look so you can feel a bit extra fun and sexy!

When I’m swimming, I like to add a touch of brown mascara to my lashes. My new favorite mascara is Ere Perez’s Natural Almond Mascara. It’s smudge-proof, water resistant, and honestly my new favorite mascara in a brown shade. I think I like it so much because it applies so smoothly and looks pretty dang natural. Your eyes will naturally pop – well not naturally, you’re wearing mascara, but! That’s what’s so amazing about this mascara, it looks pretty dang naturally long and stunning! Swimming or not, I’m wearing this mascara quite often when I go out during the day.

After I’m out of the pool, I’ll put on a pair of go-to sandals (a lot of go-to’s here). Birkenstock’s Yara Footbed Sandal, anyone? They’re even cuter in person. Once I got mine I couldn’t help but stop and admire them for a second anytime I wore them as they compliment a classic red nail polish so well. But really, any Birkenstock sandal is a friend of mine.

A fun, and juicy, scent for the pool is one of my favorite new perfumes. Be Delicious by DKNY. It’s a sharp and delicious scent with “refreshing grapefruit and cucumber, and a sensual undertone of magnolia to deepen the bright, watery zest.” Not to mention a hint of sweet red apple. It’s one of the perfumes where you keep smelling your arm to take in the yummy scent. I have a 0.27 oz vial from Scentbird so I can easily travel with it. It comes in a classy, refillable, and expensive-looking gold-tinted vial or bottle. With a Scentbird monthly subscription, it can be pretty fun and exciting to shop for new scents. It’s kind of like I have a new scent each month to test out, and a collection built so I have a scent for different kinds of outfits – or with each season!

Look 4: Breezy Shades of Blue

Once it starts getting more breezy (there was a rainstorm today, so I’m preparing even more), I’ll start pulling out the sweats and cardigans for a classic casual look while remaining comfortable. Chaser’s Hudson Washed Indigo Joggers are a comfortable choice along with their Carnaby Washed Indigo Tank Top – 100% cotton with a beautiful color. If it’s colder where you live around these months, top this set off with a classic cream cardigan to finish off the look. Their 100% Chenille Cotton Sweater Knit Button Down Long Cardigan is perfect for late Summer and Fall.

To match well with our Indigo set, let’s do a midnight blue eyeliner to compliment those blue shades? Ere Perez’s Jojoba Eye Pencil in the shade Opal is perfect for this look. I’ve also – for quite a while – wanted a blue eyeliner pencil due to Princess Diana’s iconic makeup looks with it. They have shades Opal/Midnight Blue and Cerulean/Sky Blue if you’re after this princess look. Cheekbone Beauty’s Pencil Sharpener is likely needed if you’re going after this princess blue eyeliner look often, I have one for when my eyeliner pencil needs it!

And I love my Birkenstock sandals so much that I think pairing the Yara Footbed Sandal to this look suits me just right. It’s a classic!

My perfume of choice here is basically any perfume from the brand Scents of Wood. I love a good woody nature note. Who doesn’t want to smell like a forest? Whether it’s Sandalwood, Oak, or Chestnut, they have lovely scents to choose from when you’re feeling magical.

Look 5: Doc Martens & a Flowy Dress…

Last but not least we have our fifth late Summer look. A classic flowy Arden Midi Dress from Saltwater Luxe, paired with a Dr. Martens Nartilla Platform Gladiator Sandal. I simply think any Midi or Maxi dress from Saltwater Luxe will work well but the Arden Midi Dress has the cutest tiered ruffle detailing in a soft pink.

And I had to mention another Dr. Marten favorite, their Platform Gladiator Sandal! It has soft lining with an arched footbed and is super stylish with any dress this Summer. Currently at Famous Footwear they’re 20% off… soooo, now’s the time before Summer ends!

Basically for a casual midi dress look, I wear a light a beautiful eyeshadow in any color I please. Once again, Cheekbone Beauty is a new discovery of mine that has been wonderful so far. I recommend their Small Tapered Blending Eyeshadow Brush and Mattifying Moon Dust Powder when creating your perfect eyeshadow look. The Moon Dust Powder is vegan, shine-reducing, and has a weightless finish while the eyeshadow brush is just dang soft.

Remember that sweet heart necklace I mentioned before? I’d also pair that magnetic heart necklace with this look too! Like I said, Flaire & Co.’s jewelry pieces are really affordable and this piece is stainless steel, water safe, anti-tarnish, and just so dang cute. Plus, playing with the magnets is really fun with this necklace. What’s not to love?

I’d splash on some Notting Hill perfume from English Laundry. I can’t help but be persuaded by the name alone, but the scent is really lovely. According to Scentbird, it’s a “bubbly lemon and lime citrus [displaying] its shadow side with a heart of silky jasmine and tart, dry peppercorn.” *sniff* *sniff* Smells right to me!

So, what do you think of these five late-Summer looks? I’ve discovered a lot of new brand’s I love, and can’t resist going back to my favorite brands as well when creating a new look. Which new look are you excited to try? And which go-to look do you find yourself coming back to every Summer? For me, it’s a good old pair of Doc Martens or Birkenstocks, paired with a long flowy dress. Ah… classic.

Michal Mitchell is freelance writer and graduate from the University of Utah with a bachelor's degree in English. Her passions include, writing poetry for her "10 Minute Poetry" column, fiction, screenplays and delving into a Chopin Étude every now and then. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she seeks solace in the ventures of her mind. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @jackycoocoo for poetry, celebrity interviews, fiction, articles, or to commission her for an article.