This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Personal style is important. It is a way for you to express yourself creatively in your everyday life that only you get to decide. It is constantly evolving with you as you get older and things in your life change. When you are in college it can be a hard choice between waking up early and putting time into your look for the day OR sleeping in a little more and rolling into class in leggings and an oversized t-shirt. The struggle is real.

College is the time when you can experiment with fashion. Don’t be afraid take risks to see what works and what doesn’t. If you never take risks while you are young, you’ll get to the real world and be totally lost on what clothes make YOU feel confident. It doesn’t matter what other people think of the way you dress as long as it makes you feel like the very best version of yourself. PSA: Don’t feel like you have to wear things that society says will look good on your body type. Wear whatever the hell you want. You do you.

Try not to feel weird about standing out. This can be hard because you might feel like people in the community you live in right now don’t dress the way you want to dress. That doesn’t matter! If you are feeling like wearing bright colors, do it. If you are feeling like wearing sweatpants and being comfortable, do it. The clothes you wear can affect your mood, and it just might give you that extra little bounce in your step you need to get through the long day ahead.

Moral of the story is, go to boutiques or thrift shops and try to find some unique pieces that really speak to your personality. You really do not have to break the bank to look good. There are all kinds of great affordable stores that have a wide variety of clothes that can make you look and feel amazing!

Time to get out there and take some fashion risks! Good luck and be fierce!

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor