This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Almost a year ago, I wrote my first article for Her Campus. It was dedicated to a new music festival I had found in my hometown of Denver, Colorado. Fast forward about ten months, and I’m still the festival fanatic that I was back then. For me, music festivals are the whole dang package. There’s the obvious, awesome music that, assumingly since you bought a ticket, you’re going to love. But there are so many other facets – food, spacious grounds, the opportunity to spend a day (or days) with your friends in an amazing setting – what more could you ask for?

Over this past summer, I went to a festival that I’d never been to before, and it was truly one of the best experiences of my life: the Ampthill Festival. This is a festival that is on very few people’s radar, but it should be on everyone’s. The only catch is that it’s in England.

Located in Ampthill, which is a tiny town just outside of Bedford, England, the Ampthill Festival was an absolute dream. First of all, the setting is incomparable. It’s about an hour train ride outside of London, so on the way there, you’re hurtling through the rolling hills of the English countryside. Cue Ed Sheeran on repeat please. The grounds themselves are no different. The main stage sits between two grassy hills, making a perfect viewing platform for people who are farther back in the crowd. There are tents and food trucks strewn everywhere else, so if you get there early enough, you could spend hours wandering around the beautiful area. My friends and I got there right as the gates opened. We didn’t really know what to expect, so we decided to treat it as if we were going to big festival like Lollapalooza (you could get there before the gates open and still have to wait in lines). Lo and behold, we were the first people through the gates. The first act wasn’t on for another couple of hours, so we strolled throughout the grounds, listening to other bands soundcheck. Already, I was hooked.

Basically, most of the attendees of this festival are citizens of Ampthill and the surrounding towns. The diversity in demographic was insane. There were plenty of high schoolers decked out in fanny packs, clear-colored visors, biker shorts, and chunky dad sneakers. But there were also a ton of older people and families who brought lawn chairs and picnic blankets, and were content to park themselves in the middle of the grounds and let the crowds fill in around them. It was such an interesting vibe – everyone was a different age, but everyone was there for the music.

I think the reason that the crowd was so diverse was the lineup. This festival is three days, and each day is a little different. The first day has your traditional festival lineup, the second day has a jazz/classical music lineup, and the third day hosts local bands, while the grounds are turned into a fair. The main lineup this year consisted of a local cover band called Backpocket, who were insanely talented (they were also in high school), The Vamps, Squeeze, Jo Whiley, and the Cuban Brothers. There were also a few other small sound stages/booths that smaller bands played at before the mainstage acts came on. There was truly something for everyone.

One of the most amazing things about this festival, and what I think makes it truly unique, is that it is put on by the community, for the community. The proceeds go back to the community, and back to the festival. I know that location is a hindrance, but if you find yourself in the right place at the right time, as I was so lucky to, I seriously think that you should go to this festival. I left it in the best mood I’d been in in a long time, and I will certainly be returning.

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3 (original)

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor