Feminist Movies That Will Bring Out Your Inner Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

One of my absolute favorite things to do in my free time is cuddle up on the couch with a good movie. Action, drama, horror—you name it, I’ll watch it. But my all-time favorites will always be those I grew up with—Disney and DreamWorks, included. However, it’s a little disheartening to see how many sexist clichés you can pick out of your lifelong favorites. The girl next door, the damsel in distress, the beautiful airhead—you see these tropes constantly played out in the movies that shaped our generation, and whether you like it or not, they’ve had an effect that requires active combating to fix. Luckily, not all of your childhood favorites are affected, and more movie producers are starting to catch on, so if you are in need of a breath of feminist fresh air, here are a few shows from your past that will make you proud, and a few you wish you’d grown up to.

1. Penelope (2007)

This cult-classic about a girl born with a pig nose due to a long-held family curse that can only be broken by being loved by “one of her own,” as in, a rich Blue Blood, is something every little girl should see. It is a movie about self-love and independence, and it takes nearly every classic fairytale ideal and flips them into a modern, feminist context. As Penelope is empowered, so are you.

2. The Wild Thornberrys (2002)

This movie based off of the classic Nikelodeon series of the same name is one that many of us may be familiar with. Eliza Thornberry, a girl with the ability to talk to animals who’s been raised in the wild by nature-loving parents, is ripped from her idyllic life after a near-death situation and sent to boarding school in England where she is to have a “normal” childhood; however, things don’t go quite as planned. This is a movie about identity and asks you to question how you value and make a name for yourself, as well as how to cope with change and growing up.

3. Enchanted (2007)

A recent sensation, Enchanted is simultaneously a fairytale and a parody of one. When Giselle is sent from her Disney wonderland into the harsh reality of modern New York City, she is forced to reexamine her definition of “happily ever after” and the gender roles that surround it. Not only is this movie wildly entertaining, but also as it mocks the familiar fairytale stereotype, you are forced to see its flaws and reinvent it as Giselle does.

4. Tangled (2010)

Tangled, the wildly popular Disney hit of recent years, follows Rapunzel as she escapes her sheltered tower life and sets out to make a name for herself. This movie deals with heartache and loss, as well as the complexity of abusive relationships via Rapunzel and her “Mother.” The character Rapunzel herself has a depth that allows for a thorough examination of strength, courage, and perseverance, encouraging viewers to take charge of their own fates.

5. Mulan (1998)

Of course Mulan had to make this list! A girl who pretends to be a man to fight in the army in place of her elderly father is reason enough, but when that girl goes above and beyond her male comrades and saves China, that’s absolute perfection. The song “Be a Man” forces you to think about what constitutes strength and then completely severs it from the stereotype of manliness and applies it to a woman. Also, Mulan is given chance after chance to give up and return home, but denies every time to follow through with her commitments. Mulan is one for the ages and something every girl needs to see.

6. Cinderella (2015)

I’ll admit that when I saw there was going to be a Cinderella remake, I was skeptical. I’d never been a huge fan of Cinderella in the first place, as it always bothered me how passive Cinderella seemed to be in allowing the horrible stepmother to run her life as well as in waiting for a prince or a godmother to come to the rescue. But this Cinderella remake, while still respectful to the original story, shows that kindness does not equal weakness, and that forgiveness is true strength.

7. Zootopia (2016)

This sweet movie is still in theatres, but it is definitely one for the books. Not only does it show kids that hard work and perseverance can break down barriers, but it also challenges prejudice and racism. This instant classic is hilarious, sweet, and inspiring, and takes on big issues in a way that everyone can relate to.

8. Maleficent (2014)

Maleficent reimagines and complicates the story of the infamous Disney villain, asking you to question the fairytale you thought you knew. When Maleficent’s trust is broken and violated, so is the viewers’. You are asked to think about revenge and weakness as well as what comprises true love. Not only is Maleficent totally badass and regal, but she’s also human and subject to the same emotions as everyone else. “Good” and “bad” are suddenly less complex, and you are asked to accept Maleficent’s mistakes along with her successes.

9. Spirited Away (2001)

A longtime favorite of many, this Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli legend feels almost like a reimagined Alice in Wonderland. Chihiro, a young girl in modern Japan, is being forced to move away from her friends and into a new town, however, the trip to the new house doesn’t go exactly as planned when Chihiro and her family find themselves in a seemingly abandoned amusement park. Chihiro then becomes separated from her parents and discovers that there’s more to this place than she could have ever imagined. A story about identity, past, and overcoming, you’ll find yourself relating to Chihiro in more ways than one, and by the end of the movie you’ll feel as strong and capable as she does.

10. Inside Out (2015)

Another recent Disney/Pixar classic, Inside Out asks you to think about emotion in a way that is complex and also relatable. A lot of the movie is based on real psychological science, allowing you to inhabit this imagined world of characterized emotions, but without leaving behind the reality of it all. This movie allows mental illness to be shown as a real imbalance in your brain, rather than an active decision, which is absolutely incredible for kids who struggle with these issues and are told time and time again to “just cheer up” or to “just calm down.” The main character is a girl, Riley, but her interests span beyond the range of what is “girly,” which provides a valuable representation for young girls who are told to “act like a lady.” This is a great show that’s sure to make you tear up.

No matter who you are, you are faced with stereotypes and attitudes that affect the way you see the world, whether implicitly or explicitly. Though it can sometimes feel like nothing will ever be completely inoffensive, accurate representations, you can take heart in knowing that there are people out there that are pushing back against these overused ideals. Though you might be faced with societal failings like sexism and racism today, as more and more people take a stand and make room for accurate portrayals of marginalized groups and issues, the world will become a better, more empowering place—one you can witness from the comfort of your own couch.

Madison Adams is a feminist, a tea enthusiast, a friend to the animals, and a lover of words. Mostly, though, she's a young woman who's still trying to figure things out. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor