This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I wear whatever I want. I’m not talking about the occasional- sometimes less occasional, depending on the time of year – sweatpants or gym shorts when I’m not planning on taking a jog later. I mean that while 17 Magazine may dub me an “Autumn,” I don’t let that stop me from wearing something I find cute even though the color may be “too cool” for my skin tone. If it’s cute, I wear it. I’m confident enough to believe that I look awesome. I think this is the first step to fashion.

I don’t love orange or red. This probably has to do with the fact that my hair is naturally red and I pretty much wear those colors all of the time on my head. However, despite my warm undertones I love hot pink. I love pastel yellow. Despite whatever may be in season, I love dresses that might not be in style anymore, and I was determined to find a jean mini skirt in 2015 when they were not in magazines yet. But I promise you, I looked great.

When you are confident in yourself, you can wear anything you want. If you think you look cute, odds are you probably do. While we’re taught as a society to see people for what they look like or how they dress, at the core we are drawn to who people are confident, regardless of what they are wearing. Usually the people we are drawn to like themselves. Words like “arrogant, “cocky,” “snooty,” and “stuck up” are overused. Why can’t I think I look pretty? Why can’t I know that I have a good sense of humor and be proud of that? This seems like a tangent, but it’s an important one for this style guide. 

First, work on liking yourself. Admire the way you hit the books before anything else. Be impressed by the number of shoes you own. Take a selfie and feel confident when you notice the way the light hits your eyes just right. This is the start to liking the unique you that you are. When you pass a mirror, say “I’m awesome!” Seventh-grade me with the big nose and bangs that did NOT work for her face can attest to this actually working. Also, be nice. Being nice makes you feel good, and being nice to others starts with being nice to yourself.

Next, wear what you think is cute and go with it. Don’t think too hard about how you think it may look – if you’re comfortable, you look great! Your style will reflect who you are — express yourself!

There isn’t a last step on this list, because as time goes on, your style will develop and you will add and explore, adjust and change. What will stay the same is who you are at the core. 

So, I will continue to wear my colorful leggings and bright colors. I will feel hot in a plain black shirt, black leggings and black booties. The thought “I look like Black Widow right now” may cross my mind a few times throughout the day, but I’ll follow up with “Whatever. Everyone has a girl crush on her, anyway.” I will continue to go back and forth between full faced makeup, none at all, and rainbow or bright green eyeshadow because using my face as a canvas can be really fun. I’ll also continue to better myself and my confidence as time goes on, too. 

Fashion is about expressing yourself. If there’s something on a mannequin that you think is so perfect, go for it! Chances are, you’ll look 10/10. Love yourself, and your style and looking beautiful as you strut your stuff will come right along with it. 

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!