This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

After a brief two-month hiatus, your fashion forecast is back in full swing just in time for the start of fall semester. Put on your scarves and button up those flannels; the arrival of the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks has signified the official beginning of the fall fashion season. September, the liaison between summer and fall, is marked by preppy accessories and elegant statement pieces this season. The items featured in this article are either locally sourced by small crafters or thrifted in an effort to be more sustainable and move away from the fast fashion industry. Here is your fashion forecast for September 2018!

I haven’t decided if this bandana makes me feel like I’m in a western film or an early 2000’s chick flick set in a prep school, but I’m loving it either way. Summer saw a rise in accessorizing with silk scarves, so bandanas can be thought of as the silk scarf’s older brother; hardier and slightly more rugged, but refined all the same. This specific bandana was purchased from local storefront Fellow Shop (one of my favorites, by the way), just down the street from campus on Broadway. There were quite a few colors to choose from, but I went with the color ‘Osage’, a saffron yellow, to try and impart some sunshine in my life as I begin to trudge through the busy new semester. Pairing it with a simple collared button-up gave the look some structure and trim, but it can easily be worn with just about any outfit.

Where to find it: The Fellow Shop, 217 E Broadway, Salt Lake City

Price: $16

I know that you’re probably thinking that this outfit is much better suited for October/Halloween edition of the Fashion Forecast. All I have to say is that it’s NEVER too early to start paying homage to the spooky season. It’s taken me a while to warm up to the ‘midi’ trend that appeared on runways in the spring; pants, skirts, and dresses that hit mid-calf. This isn’t the 1950’s after all. This ASTR dress offers a fresh take on the trend by keeping the slip mini length and extending the lace overlay down to the calf, with special detailing on the neckline as well. The finished product turns out refined and slightly moody, ready to be worn for an elegant dinner or a night out with friends.

Where to find it: I got mine from my local thrift store, but Nordstrom still sells the actual dress

Price: $17 thrifted, $89 new at Nordstrom

This month is just the tip of the iceberg because fall fashion is only just getting started. Bill Cunningham, the high profile fashion photographer for The New York Times, said that ‘Fashion is the armor to survive the reality of everyday life.’ Which is exactly the mood I’ll be trying to achieve for the next four months until the semester is over. See you all in October!

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor