david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everything You Need to Know About American Horror Story: Apocalypse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you haven’t heard of American Horror Story, you’re either living under a rock or are one of those weird people that don’t like watching shows that make you check your house for mythical monsters and sleep with a baseball bat…okay, maybe we’re the weird ones. But for all you horror loving,thrill-seekingg, twisted folks out there, you know it is that time of year again: a new season of American Horror Story comes out this September!

The theme of Season 8 is Apocalypse, and while this season could honestly go in any direction with a title like that, there a few things you can expect from the beloved anthology.

A few years ago, creators Brad Falchuck and Ryan Murphy (who also created the musical comedy/drama Glee btw) announced that every season of American Horror Story would be connected in some way. Thus far connections have been relatively subtle like when we discovered Doctor Arden from Season two Asylum is the one who brutally amputated Elsa Mars from Season three Freak Show or that the Countess (Lady Gaga) from Season five Hotel received a (failed) abortion from Doctor Charles Montgomery, the original owner of the house in the first season called Murder House. I’ll pause here so you can conduct a quick Google search on the other connections between seasons made throughout the series.

While these small “ah-hah!” moments are definitely fun to look out for, this season will feature a much bigger network of characters and storylines from different seasons.  Murphy announced on his Twitter this season will be the long awaited crossover between Murder House and Coven. Along with bringing back legendary actors such as Kathy Bates, Taissa Farmiga, Billie Lourde and Emma Roberts, we will also be graced with the presence of Jessica Lange, who we last saw in the fourth season: Coven. Several new cast members will also be added this season. Actors like the fabulous Joan Collins and Billy Porter will be joining the AHS fam, as well as other unconfirmed characters.   

Besides bringing back various characters, many of whom actors will be doubling up playing throughout the series, this season will also be drawing together two totally different geographic settings and storylines. If you can remember all the way back to season one, Murder House, we were left with the chilling realization that the child between Tate Langdon and Mrs. Harmon (created when Tate wore that creepy AF leather suit…remember now?) will grow up to be the antichrist who ushers in the end of the world. Now a teenager, Michael Langdon is bound to do some serious damage and no doubt powerful witches Cordelia Goode and her coven will have something to say about it.

The apocalyptic theme of this season is said to cover events leading up to the end of the world as well as those occurring after so there are sure to be the gory, haunting, all around fu*#ed up moments we’ve all come to know and love from American Horror Story.

The end is near my friends, Wednesday September 12th to be exact. You can watch the premier on FX at 9 pm. 

Pics: 1, 2,

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor