Embrace Your Inner Introvert and Watch “Los Espookys” this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With Halloween arriving, most college students will be split into two groups: extroverts and introverts. Extroverts are those who dress up, go out with friends, and have a wild night that may or may not keep them from going to class the next day. Introverts are those who turn off the lights, hide from the trick-or-treaters, and watch a good scary movie. While I encourage my fellow introverts to step out of their comfort zones, I definitely understand the desire to just take some alone time and watch TV. If you choose to stay home (like I probably will), I suggest you spend your Halloween night watching HBO’s new show: Los Espookys.

Los Espookys is a brilliantly weird, new show from Fred Armisen, Ana Fabrega, and Julio Torres. The show follows a group of friends who transform their love of horror into a very unique business, which provides horror to those in need. The story is set in a fictional Latin American country where the strange and eerie are just a part of everyday life. Los Espookys has earned great reviews including 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and 82% on Metacritic. This is a show about strange people, for strange people, made by a trio of comedians who built their careers out of slightly odd humor. The show reflects the tastes of its makers, and is every bit as singular and eccentric as each of their individual careers. If you have a love of the bizarre and appreciate these creators’ talents, you will definitely be won over by Los Espookys

This series is hilarious, well written, and the performances given by the entire cast is phenomenal. Additionally, the main band of characters are extremely lovable. Each character has their own special love for horror and personal life struggle which makes you root for them no matter the circumstances. The characters each attract a special audience, and you can be sure that they will leave you with something to love about this show.

Los Espookys is made unique by its quirkiness and subtle humor. At its core, underneath the fake blood and scary effects, this show has a ton of heart. The series is all about embracing who you really are and following your dreams. Each of the characters faces their own spooky and treacherous path to self-acceptance, which keeps the audience hooked and gives you a lot of love and respect for this odd gang. 

Another great thing about this show is that it is primarily in Spanish. This means you can procrastinate on your school work while still feeling good about practicing your spanish (to some extent). Also, with only six episodes (each stacking up at 25 minutes a piece), you can easily binge the entire first season on Halloween night and have a great time doing so. 

I really do hope you give this hilariously odd show a chance because it is brilliant, you get HBO for free if you are a University of Utah student, and it is sure to brighten anybody’s night. Happy Halloween future Los Espookys fans!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor