This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re looking for a fun activity that includes socializing and drinking, Paint Night is for you! Paint Nights are held at random bars and locations that are strictly 21+ to bring people together to create a work of art and drink all the while. I recently ventured to an event alone, and I can tell you that when you go, you’re in for a wild ride!

Get a Good Seat 

They place tables, canvases, and paint throughout the space and attendees watch an instructor as he or she shows you how to recreate the painting. You choose the piece you’ll create beforehand, as well as the location. It’s important to get there early if you want a good view of your instructor. You definitely don’t want to have to crane your neck all night, especially since you’ll get progressively more drunk. Send the least drunk person in first, and they can snag your seats while you grab a drink. 

Come with friends, or come to make them 

I went to Paint Night solo, and after half a drink the two other women at my table were laughing with me like we were old friends. While making new friends was awesome, your experience would likely be better if you brought someone along. I’d recommend pregaming, because all things are better after too many drinks. 

Drinking only makes you better 

This is especially hard for perfectionists, but it holds true. The more drunk you are, the better your painting will turn out. Abstract art is fun, freaky, and carefree. Alcohol definitely makes you all three of those things (usually). Even if you mess up a little bit, your painting will be as unique and lovable as you are. 

Your Instructor will make or break your night 

Luckily, your instructor is getting hammered right there with you. As the night progresses, they’ll make jokes, spill their beer, and really make your night. My instructor referred to his paint brush as his ‘willy’ and demanded we drink every time he used the word ‘moist.’ You’ll be laughing the entire time. 

It’s a little pricey, but worth every penny 

Look up Paint Night Groupon, and you can snag a deal for just $25. While they provide canvas, paint, and instruction, they don’t provide your drinks. This isn’t too bad, because you’ll be so distracted by your painting that you won’t have too much time to refill your glass. I ended up spending around $35 on the event, and all in al it was completely worth it. If you can’t find a ride, be prepared to spend a little extra on an uber. You definitely won’t be able to drive home!

All in all, Paint Night is a great way to switch it up with your friends, reconnect with someone, or meet new people. It’s basically a drunken adventure that you get to take home and hang on your wall. 

Pop-culture nerd, feminist, gamer, student. I drink too much tea and always have my head in a book. I write the nerdy stuff for HerCampus Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor