Double Standards For Women In The Public Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Chances are that almost all of us have seen or heard about the nude picture of Kim Kardashian that she posted on Twitter and Instagram. The photo was a throwback to last year, and showed Kim wearing nothing more than two black bars. This kind of behavior wasn’t very surprising coming from Kim, who is no stranger to revealing photoshoots. What I did find surprising, and unsettling, was how the media and many fellow celebrities reacted to the picture. 

I’m not saying we all need to let loose and start posting nude pics, but if a mom of two feels comfortable enough in her own skin to post a picture like that, isn’t that something we should celebrate? At the end of the day, we were all born naked, and society, especially in the U.S, has sexualized our bodies to the point where we teach women to be ashamed of them. If someone is brave enough to break the norm and show some skin, we call them a slut.

One celebrity who called out Kim was Pink. She took to social media to post about how women should be known for their brain and not their naked bodies. I’m sorry Pink, but am I supposed to forget how you perform half naked swinging from a rope? Take a seat, please. Just because you are an “artist” doesn’t change anything. Another celebrity (if you can call her that) who criticized Kim was Chloe Grace Moretz. Chloe tweeted Kim reminding her that women with her platform should be teaching women to set goals and have more to offer than just their bodies. Interestingly enough, you can find Chloe on the December/January cover of Nylon magazine wearing nothing more than a coat draped over one shoulder.

Luckily other celebrities were quick to come to Kim’s defense. Amber Rose, who is a powerful voice against slut shaming, responded to Pink. She told her she needs to learn to live and let live, and not put down another grown woman just because she makes different choices. Ariel Winters, of Modern Family, also backed up Kim on Twitter. Kim thanked her by sending flowers.

As a society, we need to learn to not be so quick to judge people just because they do something we wouldn’t do. Honestly, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will never post a nude pic on social media, but if someone else does it doesn’t hurt me at all, and hey, good for them for feeling good enough about themselves to do so.

Business major at the University of Utah. Politics fanatic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor