Dorm room survival checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Moving out? No need to worry your pretty little mind over what to bring to school this year. We did all the list-making dirty work for you. It’s printable and you won’t be missing a thing!

BEDROOM
__ Sheet Set and matching comforter/throw pillows- The dorms at the U are Twin Extra Long
__ Mattress Pad- Trust us, you’ll want one.
__ Clothing- Time to look cute for school!
__ Hangers- If you’ll be sharing a closet with your roomie, it’s a great idea to get your own hanger color so your stuff doesn’t g
et mixed up.
__ Laundry Basket/Detergent/Dryer Sheets- Portability is key!
__ Storage totes- They fit perfectly under the beds and look oh-so organized.
__ Full Length Mirror
__ Small Appliances – Microwave, mini-fridge, TV. Make sure to coordinate with your roommate to help save on costs.
__ Décor- Personalize your room to make it feel like home. Use adhesive hooks instead of nails to keep the walls free of damage.

BATHROOM
__ Shower Supplies- Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Razor, shaving cream
__ Shower caddy- It will help keep your items separate from everyone else’s.
__ Air Freshener
__Hand Soap
__ Make-Up Organizer/Make-Up
__Fingernail Polish/ Remover
__ Lotion/Perfume
__ Hair Care Products
__ Toilet Paper/Feminine Hygiene Products
__ Towels and Washcloths- At least 2 of each.
__ Bathrobe- Target.com has some really cute ones!

CLEANING
__ Dish Soap/Sponge
__Vacuum -These are available for free at the HC, but having your own is an almost necessity.
__Glass cleaner
__Shower cleaner/Sponge
__ Disinfectant Wipes
__Mop for Bathroom Floor
__Toilet Cleaner/Brush
__Cleaning Schedule- Rotate deep cleaning the bathroom once per week and write it down so everyone is accountable. You can also rotate purchasing cleaning supplies or split the cost.

STUDYING
__ Backpack
__Desk Lamp
__Stapler-A mini-stapler for your backpack is nice to have, too.
__Tape
__Whiteout
__Pen/Pencil Holder for your desk
__Pens, Pencils, Markers, Highlighters
__Headphones-Noise blocking headphones are recommended.
__ Laptop/Printer/Paper/Ink- Or you can print in the Marriot Library or a computer lab for $0.08 per sheet.
__File Folders- Great for organizing important paperwork your mom always kept track of for you.

EXTRA SUPPLIES
__ Healthy Snacks-No freshman 15 here!
__Work Out Supplies
__ Emergency Supply Kit- Include a flashlight, tools, first aid kit, nonperishable snacks, and emergency contact info.
__Band aids/Pain killer/any other prescriptions or medications you might need
__ Sewing Kit- For those little tears and loose buttons.
__ Surge Protector/Extension Cord
__ Umbrella- Unfortunately, rain isn’t a valid excuse for missing class.
__Docking Station for your MP3 or IPOD/Phone Charger
__ Weekender bag- For those holiday and weekend trips home.
__ A Lanyard/Card holder for your U Card and Room key- You’ll need both to get into your building/room. They are easy to lose and expensive to replace, so a big lanyard that holds both will be your BFF.
__ Mini safe- You’ll be surprised how many people will be in and out of your room.
__ Door stop- Keeping your door open while you are at home is a great way to get to know your neighbors.

Leaving home, meeting new roommates, and starting a new semester are enough to worry about. We’ve got everything you’ll need!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!