This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Next time you find yourself in a “hand me the AUX” situation, instead think, “let’s try the radio!” 

As technology continues to advance and generations start getting savvier, the traditional radio medium has taken a back seat in entertainment. Country, Talk, and Adult Contemporary are the reigning genres, however, with radio available in the car, at home, and on your phone, this isn’t very surprising. Similar to the way that streaming services have become the more favorable form of watching content, being able to control your music selection has become the more desirable option when listening to music. 

But why should radio be important to you? Well, I find it is the easiest way to diversify your music taste! Music platforms can be intimidating because there is so much right in front of you to choose from. Knowing where to start or trying to choose what to commit to may be difficult and get you nowhere. Enter, radio. If you already have a station you like or are familiar with, stick with it. Try not to change the station after hearing that one song you like, keep listening! Even if it’s a song you might have heard of but had no interest in, try listening and see where it leads! If you want to get really ~crazy~ try a new station, maybe even one that focuses on a different genre than your normal taste! Similarly, you may recognize some songs, why not see if you end up liking them. On your next drive to work or running errands, try listening to a new station the whole ride!

News! Radio is a great resource for news and information whether it be local, national, global, or even celebrity. Especially if you don’t generally watch syndicated TV, it is important to know what is going on around you. NPR is a great, classic station and probably the most widely recognized for keeping people in the know. Radio also gives you the opportunity to support local stations! Being able to listen to the same personalities doing the same segments for over ten years is something that is so special about the radio format. It creates a unique individual, yet, shared experience!

Be sure to keep giving radio a chance and see how it helps diversify your music taste and how many new things you can learn!

Senior studying Strategic Communication
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor