The Debate on Hillary Clinton’s Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

9/11 is a day typically filled with compassion among most Americans, as we are reminded of the fragility of life: 2,996 lives were tragically taken altogether, with another 6,000 severely injured that day on 2001. On September 11th of this year, however, some citizens were focused on another human frailty: a case of pneumonia, affecting one prominent individual.

Shortly after Hillary Clinton collapsed at a September 11th memorial service in New York, she was treated for dehydration and pneumonia before returning to her home in Chappaqua. The incident happened after weeks of inquiries into the presidential candidate’s medical records, particularly by her opponent Donald Trump. These records have yet to be released, but a provocative dialogue about women’s health has certainly emerged.

Some reactions are clearly partisan, as liberals highlighted Trump’s avoidance of the Vietnam War draft due to bone spurs and compared it to Clinton’s stamina with her intensive travel record as Secretary of State. Another major controversy surrounding Clinton’s incident is her campaign’s alleged deception and lack of transparency. She has continually declined to release health records, prompting rumors that Clinton may be hiding a more serious condition than pneumonia. Some even go as far to suggest she utilized a body double after leaving the memorial service in order to conceal the true degree of her illness. Perceived dishonesty by Clinton and the Democratic Party at large in the recent election cycle has created a breeding ground for gossip and conspiracy theories.

However, the notion that she should be more candid is equally mired in controversy. In fact, various news sources pointed out that Clinton has released the same amount of information about her medical status as Barack Obama and Mitt Romney issued in the previous election cycle. History tells a similar story; Franklin Delano Roosevelt suffered from polio, but was often characterized as heroic for overcoming his illness. Unlike Clinton, Roosevelt’s efforts to keep his condition under wraps and avoid being seen in a wheelchair were not just accepted; they were applauded. The reason behind such contrast? Many say it’s sexism at work (literally).

Working women everywhere have consistently been the subject of demanding, and perhaps unfair, health standards. Heather Henderson, founder of Scarleteen magazine, offers an alternative world where women aren’t shamed nor criticized for having less than stellar physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Rather than portraying Clinton’s health in a negative light like the majority of media reports, Henderson says a preferable and more appropriate headline response would say, “Clinton Heroically Braves Pneumonia to Attend 9/11 Ceremony”. This insightful re-framing highlights the fact that Clinton supporters attempted to hit home: Hillary managed to attend a ceremony, attend two fundraisers, coordinated a two-hour security meeting, and completed an interview with CNN, all on the same day as being diagnosed with pneumonia.

Nevertheless, there isn’t always such positive support and advocacy for women who aren’t in the spotlight. It speaks to the need for most women to conceal discomfort or illness in order to maintain a strong, competent image. But regardless of gender or political opinions, we’ve probably all experienced having to work when sick or under the weather. Therefore, if a universal takeaway from Clinton’s incident exists, it’s that nobody is perfect 100% of the time; not even presidential candidates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/12/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign-p…

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/clinton-health-consp…

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/11/12882602/hillary-clinton-pneumonia-health

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor