This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’ve had wavy hair my whole life. But once I hit puberty, though, my hair went from waves to unmanageable ringlets. So, I spent a year straightening the crap out of my hair. The experience was so memorable that my sisters love to reenact the violent clamping of the straightener they would hear at 6 a.m. Eventually, I figured out that continuously burning my keratin turned my hair into literal straw, and I wanted to change that. As circumstances tend to be for many curly girls, I am the only curly-haired person in my family and in my close friend circle. Unfortunately, then, only resource I had was YouTube. But, I’m glad to say that with the help of these YouTubers, I have been curly since ‘14, and have not picked up a straightener since my junior year of high school. So whether you’re a well-seasoned curly girl (you have coconut oil in your veins and ‘no sulfates’ tattooed on your heart) or are just beginning to figure out that you don’t want to fight the curly life any longer, these YouTubers are fabulous resources for being a curly girl.

​Penny Tovar

I owe my entire (and I’m not kidding, my ENTIRE) curly hair journey to Penny. Though she has now drifted away from curly hair videos (she has literally 100s of videos on the topic), her old videos are great beginner’s guides for how you should care for curly hair, including moisturizing, cleansing, gel, styling, protective styling, sleep care, and hair cutting. She also has numerous videos about specific hair product lines, so if you’re just researching one brand, I would highly suggest Penny’s channel. Besides being a very educational curly hair YouTuber, Penny is also very funny and has content about thrift shopping and skincare. I highly suggest Penny for girls with a loose curl pattern- almost like your hair is a defined wave rather than a kinky curl.

BiancaRanaeToday

Bianca has extremely detailed videos on curls. While Penny has general information, Bianca is almost like a scientist of curly hair. She has videos about porosity tests, determining curl type, and protein treatments. Bianca has a huge array of styling videos, and has had her hair at multiple lengths, so she is a great resource for haircuts for curly hair (she even had bangs at one point—yes, curly girls can have bangs!). Bianca is amazing for curly girls that have a tight and kinky ringlet pattern.

IndiaBatson

India has an extensive portfolio of different curly routines and has a lot of videos on creating voluminous curly hair. She also has great tips on teasing the curl out of wavy hair that tends to look straight if not properly styled. Besides curly content, India has videos about health and fitness, skincare, and self-care. She is an amazing YouTuber for curly girls that have beachy waves.

I hope that you check out all of these YouTubers, and find one that works for you. My biggest tip for finding a curly Youtuber that works for you, is to watch someone who has a similar curl pattern and budget. Though you it make a few YouTubers to find your “one,” the one  will ultimately be your favorite guide for maintaining the curly life, these three Youtubers are great starting points on the curly journey. Good luck, curly girl!

Photo Source 1, 2, 3

Taylor like Swift, Packer like Greenbay
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor