Photo of my hair
Photo of my hair
Original photo by Rebecca Karlous
Style > Beauty

Curly Girl Method Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

One of my biggest physical insecurities has always been my hair. I love dying it and cutting it into different styles, but what bothered me the most was the style. It has been super wavy in the back and nearly straight in the front for many years. However, when I was a kid it was extremely curly all over, so I wondered if there was any way to get that type of hair back.

The curly girl method is a way to revive your natural curls, eliminate frizz, and use healthier hair products. This method does not necessarily make your hair curlier, but it can help your hair become healthier and return to its natural state. I wasn’t sure if it would help my situation at all, but I would give anything a try.

The main principle of the curly girl method is to only use hair care products that are “curly girl approved.” These products do not contain certain ingredients that could inhibit your curls.

The first step is to determine what kind of hair you have. If you have really thick and curly hair, you may cut out shampoo entirely in favor of a co-wash. Personally, my hair is somewhat thin and prone to grease, so I just make sure to choose an approved shampoo. Next, use a lot of approved conditioner — more than you usually do. Some recommend leaving some conditioner in your hair instead of rinsing it out entirely as many people do automatically. The final step of the curly girl method is to use a hair gel. This is definitely the step that has changed my hair the most. Scrunching a gel into wet hair will hold the curls in place where they might otherwise fall flat with gravity.

I have a very positive opinion of the curly girl method. My hair is still curlier in the back than it is in the front, which is frustrating. This may just be how my hair is and not much can fix it. However, I have noticed that my hair is definitely curlier overall than it used to be. I wet my hair every morning and scrunch it up to bring the curls out and that works well for me. I also think that the products that I use have helped to eliminate the frizz problems I used to have.

There is definitely a lot more to the curly girl method, but this is my adaptation of the journey created by others. The best part is that almost any brand will have approved products, from the cheapest drugstore to more high end stores. You can find so many different products and you can experiment until you find one that works for you. I would definitely recommend giving it a try even if your hair is only slightly wavy, because it could reveal a different side to your hair that is yet to be discovered!

Kristin is a member of the Honors College and is majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Disability Studies. She participates in three research labs at the U and is an Honors Peer Mentor. Kristin also interns at Well-Being Elevated. She has a passion for doing makeup, writing, and working with kids.