Culture > News

Crooked Media: All the Podcasts You Need for 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As someone who frequently struggles with the burden of a long commute, I have found that the best way to pass the time is to just turn on a podcast and let the time fly by. There are podcasts for every subject these days, and Crooked Media pretty much covers them all. Created by former staffers in the Obama Administration during the dawn of Donald Trump’s presidency, their podcasts primarily focus on witty political commentaries. But if you haven’t already sold your soul to the dark pit of politics, they also have podcasts that touch on other (similar) subjects. 

(Honestly, I would give each of their podcasts an A+ rating across the board, but if you are interested in finding the perfect podcast match, you only have to scroll down to learn more.)

Pod Save America

The original podcast from the company is hosted by four former White House staffers: Jon Lovett, Jon Favreau, Tommy Vietor, and Dan Pfeiffer. During their hour + podcast, these four hilarious friends discuss current events, give in-depth and behind the scenes analyses of ongoing politics, and interview a variety of prominent people in the community, including President Obama, Hillary Clinton, Seth Meyers, and more. It’s not a stretch to say Pod Save America is one of my go-to sources for information. If for no other reason, listen to the show for the weirdly entertaining ads.

Lovett or Leave it

Similar to Pod Save America, Lovett or Leave It is hosted by none other than Jon Lovett, a former speechwriter for President Obama. The episodes tackle the main news stories in the best format possible: games! With his live audience, Lovett sits down with a variety of different people in a variety of different fields to discuss the nonstop stream of news that is slowly driving us all insane.

Pod Save the World

Hosted by Tommy Vietor, Pod Save the World goes international as its host addresses foreign policies issues and current international events. If you want to learn more about worldwide politics from first-hand accounts, you might want to listen in as the podcast interviews many experts in the fields of international relations, diplomacy, military, and government.

Crooked Conversations

Every week, Crooked Conversations is hosted by a different individual of the Crooked Media team. Each episode tackles a different subject within the American social and political world. Whether talking about pop culture, religion, or social justice, the contributors all bring a special charm to whatever topic they might be covering. If you are looking for a podcast in which you can learn about multiple topics in one place, Crooked Conversations might be the one for you!

Pod Save the People

Focused more heavily on social activism and the history behind social movements, activist DeRay Mckesson hosts conversations with people in the field that are making a difference in our community today. Besides just discussing the movements, DeRay and his guests give you information about what you can do to participate and help the people and the issues they talk about.

Majority 54

If you have ever been confronted by a racist family member during Sunday dinner, you know how difficult it is to talk about touchy issues with the “opposite” side. Probably one of the more helpful podcasts in dealing with the Trump presidency, Jason Kander discusses how the 54% of Americans who did not vote for Trump can finally talk to those family members about political and social matters in an adult manner.

With Friends Like These

Anna Marie Cox interviews a wide range of people across the political and social spectrum. In the podcast, she talks to her guests about the issues that divide us. In such a divisive and tense time, listening to people rationally discuss politics is a must—at least, it is if you care about your sanity.

Keep It!

The newest podcast from the Crooked crew, Keep It! tackles how pop culture and politics collide. In the new podcast, the host will talk to people in different fields about your two favorite things: celebrities and politics. What’s not to love?

As you can see, when it comes to political podcasts, Crooked Media really does do it all. So instead of fantasizing about Jared Kushner’s face behind bars or stressing about Trump’s latest irrational tweet, let the hosts of these podcasts do it for you—and prepare to be immensely entertained in the process.

Photo Source 1, 2

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor