rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Conversion Therapy, House Bill 399, and Utah: Everything You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Politics, LGBTQ+ issues, and religion are seemingly always at odds with each other, but there was a brief moment where all three aspects were forging together toward a common good. Utah House Bill 399, sponsored by Rep. Craig Hall and introduced at the end of February, sought to end the practice of conversion therapy upon minors. In a state where religion permeates our society and influences our politics, the announcement that the LDS church did not oppose the bill’s position was more or less the green light for it to move forward. So how did a bill that had the support of LGBTQ+ activists, politicians, and religious leaders alike end up failing so remarkably?

Background

Conversion therapy, sometimes referred to as reparative therapy, is a pseudoscientific practice intended to alter one’s sexual orientation or gender identity by ‘reprogramming’ the individual, per say, to cis-gendered heteronormativity. How success is determined varies from practice to practice. For some, the development of heterosexual and cis-gendered feelings on top of already existing sexual orientation and gender identity is considered successful, while other practices deem success as the complete eradication of any LGBTQ+ orientation. Prior to the 21st century, extreme conversion therapy techniques included electroshock therapy, castration, ice-pick lobotomy, and the use of aversive stimuli, such as ice, pain, shocks, noxious odor, or nausea-inducing medication while subjects were exposed to sexually explicit material or refused to identify as cis-gendered and/or heterosexual. These aversion techniques are meant to produce a negative association when confronted with behavior not consistent with cis and heteronormative ideology and are still occasionally used in conversion camps today. Conversion therapy is currently banned in fifteen states.

Scientific Basis

Despite extensive research, the American Psychological Association (among many other medical and professional organizations) has stated that there is little to no scientific basis to corroborate that conversion therapy is successful at changing sexual orientation or gender identity. Instead, those who endure conversion therapy are left with higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidality, as stated by an executive summary from the American College of Physicians. The Pan American Health Association: Region Office of the World Health Organization stated that conversion therapy ‘represent[s] a severe risk to the health and human rights of the affected person’. Transgender individuals in particular already experience higher rates of discrimination, violence, and suicide attempts. A survey completed in 2011 by JM Grant, et al. reported that 41% of surveyed transgender or gender non-conforming individuals had participated in at least one suicide attempt. Conversion therapy only further increases transgender indivdiuals’ mental health risks. 

Conversion Therapy and the LDS Church

The LDS church has previously taught that homosexuality was a condition that could be cured, and was incredibly supportive, both vocally and financially, of California Proposition 8 which aimed to ban same-sex marriage. While measures have been taken to inch the LDS church toward a more equal treatment of LGBTQ+ individuals, the church acts as major influence on our state politics and societal attitudes, so it is important to acknowledge the harm it has caused. There have been countless reports of LGBTQ+ individuals being referred to conversion therapy by ecclesiastical leaders. Evergreen International, a non-profit organization based out of Salt Lake City with the intent to ‘diminish same-sex attraction and overcome homosexual behavior’, was founded primarily on LDS principles and had LDS general authorities on the board of trustees, many of whom spoke at Evergreen’s annual conference each year. The LDS church has since retracted previous teachings on same-sex attraction with the stance that homosexuality is not a sin or something that can be changed, but that acting upon homosexual desire is a form of apostate. The church has also denounced the practice of conversion therapy, citing it as abusive.

House Bill 399

House Bill 399 sought to ban licensed therapists from practicing conversion therapy on minors, with the threat of a state investigation and losing their licensure if found guilty. Republican representative Craig Hall sponsored the bill in February and was met with the support of LGBTQ+ activists. The LDS church announced that it would not oppose the bill because it contains religious exemptions. After the bill passed a house committee, it underwent modifications from the House Judiciary Committee that caused Rep. Hall to state that the bill “is not in a position that I can support’ and to oppose the amended bill. These modifications include removing gender identity and only focusing on aversion techniques that cause physical harm.  The amended bill, endorsed by Governor Gary Herbert, would completely exclude protections for transgender individuals and continue to allow harmful talk therapy techniques included in most conversion practices. Equality Utah’s executive director, Troy Williams, resigned from the Governor’s Youth Suicide Task Force due to the protections conversion therapists would receive from the bill.

In states that have not passed a ban, conversion therapy remains largely unregulated and many of the physically, mentally, and emotionally damaging techniques are still being used on LGBTQ+ youth today. Resources LGBTQ+ individuals and information regarding the dangers of conversion therapy are made readily available through the Human Rights Campaign, The Trevor Project, and Equality Utah. And lest we forget the golden rule,  for those questioning the morality of conversion therapy today: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor