A Collegiette’s Guide to Hogwarts Houses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It doesn’t matter whether you are a fan or not, everyone has at least some basic knowledge of Harry Potter and the world of witchcraft and wizardry. Whether the only thing you know is that he is a young wizard boy, or if you were someone who stood in line for the books and movies in a black cloak, it is an undeniable fact that you can be categorized in one of the four Hogwarts houses.

For those of you who are blissfully unaware of what a Hogwarts house is, allow me to enlighten you.  When a young wizard first begins their magical education at Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, they are sorted into one of four houses, based off of the knowledge of the all-knowing Sorting Hat.  The four houses, of course, are Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw.  Once the students are sorted, they remain in their designated houses for the remainder of the education and they are considered to be a part of their house for life.  So basically, in American terms, a sorority or fraternity. 

I am guessing that the majority of you know exactly what house you belong in – I, myself, am a Slytherin – but in case you don’t know, you can take an online quiz to determine your house.  If you want to be a rebel and choose for yourself or just want to fan-girl over the house you are already in, read the descriptions of each house that I have conveniently set out for you.

House:  Gryffindor

Colors:  Crimson and Gold

Animal:  Lion

Traits:  Bravery, Nerve, Chivalry, Courage, Daring

Stereotypes:  They have been known to be a little arrogant.

Well Known House Members:  Harry Potter, Albus Dumbledore, The Weasleys, Sirius Black

House:  Slytherin

Colors:  Green and Silver

Animal:  Serpent

Traits:  Resourcefulness, Cunning, Ambitious, Self-Preservation, Cleverness, Fraternity

Stereotypes:  Due to their sense of fraternity they tend to stick together, which some interpret as unfriendly.

Well Known House Members:  Severus Snape, The Malvoys, The Black Family

House:  Hufflepuff

Colors:  Yellow and Black

Animal:  Badger

Traits:  Dedication, Loyalty, Hard Work, Fairness, Patience, Kindness, Tolerance

Stereotypes:  They have been called distracted and at times never know when to be serious.

Well Known House Members:  Cedric Digory, Teddy Lupin, Pomona Sprout

House:  Ravenclaw

Colors: Blue and Bronze

Animal:  Eagle

Traits:  Intelligence, Wit, Wisdom, Creativity, Originality, Individuality, Acceptance

Stereotypes:  They have been know to be a little too serious and focus less on fun and far more on academics.

Well Known House Members:  Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang,  Filius Flitwick

Being a wizard is a lot of work, but having a group of fellow wizards constantly pushing you to the best you can be, I’m assuming, is the greatest feeling in the world. The Hogwarts’ houses are designed to bring out the best–and often, the worst–qualities in every wizard. Your housemates will be your only allies in a good Quidditch competition all the while trying to beat you out for the new Firebolt. But one thing can be certain, they will be your best friends. Always.

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor