A Chat With Cynthia Grissom, Concerts Chair for ASUU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Jesse McCartney is making his return to the U this Wednesday for the Homecoming Concert and we. Can’t. Wait.

In preparation for the event, we spoke to Cynthia Grissom, the Concerts Chair of the Campus Events Board within ASUU. We wanted to get a little bit of the inside scoop on the event – here’s what she had to say!

HC: What other events have you managed/planned in the past?

Cynthia: I was the Vice-Concerts Chair last year for Red Fest, but unfortunately due to circumstances out of our control, Red Fest didn’t end up happening last year, so I planned It, but it didn’t end up happening. [Also,] events with my co-ed business fraternity called Alpha Kappa Psi.

HC: What is the most rewarding part about your position?

Cynthia: Probably getting to see the students enjoy the events we put on. [Also,] seeing their face light up when listening to the music, and students being able to enjoy the artistry of live music on campus. I’m an avid concert goer, which is why I wanted this position, and it brings me joy to bring that joy to others!

HC: Do you have any advice for people who want to get into event managing/planning?

Cynthia: It’s all about who you know, and it’s all about asking for experience and asking to help on something. I didn’t necessarily start in events, but I worked my way up to that, so, yeah, not being afraid to put yourself out there, and knowing the right people once you put yourself out there, making connections, and working hard.

HC: Is the Homecoming Concert a yearly thing?

Cynthia: Previously, it was known as Red Fest, and it was in the fall. It had been that way for several years up until a couple years ago when Migos performed in the spring. I would love for it to become a yearly position and for Red Fest to transfer to the spring, but it’s a student position, so [that decision] is up to the current positions to decide what they want to do.

HC: What do you want to accomplish with this event?

Cynthia: A concert is exciting and people get hyped up for it, so we wanted to help out the buzz of homecoming and bring back the real spirit of [it], using the concert as a tool to do that. We want students getting excited about homecoming, and also being able to take a step back from the tests and the exams and everything, and remember the student experience as a whole. You’re in college, have fun, do fun things with your friends – this is one of the only times in your life you’ll be able to go to a free concert!

For more information on the Homecoming Concert, click here.

Sources: 1

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor