This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Black Friday is creeping up and for some this means another excuse to go out shopping and for others it is a sport. There’s a lot of craziness that happens on this day. Here’s a survival guide for you to have the most productive Black Friday yet. There are shoes, sweater, jeans, etc out there for you to go get so we need to make sure you are ready!

Before Black Friday:

Have a plan. You’ll want to strategize, and do a little research to see exactly what time stores are opening that day. Nordstrom for example, isn’t opening until 8am on Black Friday, so you could hit that last. Make sure to try to scope out the deals and see which ones are worth going to.

Be connected. A lot of your favorite stores post about the deals on Instagram, Twitter, and/or Facebook.

Be smart. When you go out shopping it is easy to get caught up in all the chaos. You’re surrounded by people buying and buying. Remember to think about what you’re purchasing and if you really love it/ need it or if you’re just falling in love with the price.

Budget. As much as we hate that word, it needs to be done. Plan out how much you can spend and plan accordingly. Be realistic, it’s easy to tell yourself you won’t spend that much, but once you’re done you’ll be wondering where your savings went.

Think of others. Black Friday is the best time to shop for Christmas presents because well, obviously, they’re cheaper. Hey, we’re college students we’d love to get our mom’s a white gold necklace, but she’ll have to settle for a $29.99 sweater for now. Make a list of who you need to shop for before you go.

On Black Friday:

Do not, I repeat do not take a nap before going out shopping! If you’re going to nap, do it after dinner and only for 10-15 minutes. Napping right before will make you sluggish and want to stay in bed for longer.

Grab coffee before. You’re going to need to stay energized. If you can, get drip coffee or Americano instead of a sugary coffee drink. Try to avoid energy drinks as well, they will make you crash harder and faster.

Bring snacks. Burning all that energy will make you tired and hungry. Forget stopping at the food court. Bring along something simple like chips or granola bars.

Go get ’em tiger. Once you’re in the mall, stick to your game plan and just bask in all your deals!

If you’re not about the Black Friday life, just snuggle under the covers, watch some Christmas Specials, grab some leftovers and wait for Cyber Monday! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor