College Women Talking Sex
College Women Talking Sex
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Ins and Outs of Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sex education in a very important topic that most people do not have a sufficient amount of knowledge about. In high school, at least in Utah, we aren’t taught a lot of things that would be helpful to know. The only birth control we are really taught and expected to follow is abstinence. But that’s not the reality of what we need to know. There are countless circumstances in which we need to know about the different types of birth control and what they can do for us ⁠— and that birth control isn’t only for women. Here are some popular types of birth control, their benefits, and some warnings:

Birth Control Implant (low maintenance): The implant is 99% effective, can cost anywhere from $0-$1,300 depending on personal insurance and what not, and can last up to 5 years. The implant is a thin rod, about the size of a match, that is usually implanted into your arm by a nurse or doctor. It works by releasing hormones into your body that keep you from getting pregnant. The hormone released is called progestin, and it will either thicken your cervical mucus, stopping sperm from swimming through, or it can stop eggs from leaving your ovaries so there is no egg to fertilize. The disadvantages of this form of birth control include temporary side effects during the first few months such as headaches, nausea, tender breasts, increased acne, and mood swings. It has also been found that the implant can make menstruation irregular or even stop it altogether. 

IUD (low maintenance): An IUD is also 99% effective and can cost anywhere from $0-$1,300 depending on insurance, but this one can last between 3-12 years. Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) are tiny devices that are put into your uterus to prevent pregnancy. It is easily reversible and lasts for quite a long time, making it one of the most effective methods out there. There are five different brands of IUDs that are FDA approved in the U.S.: Paragard, Mirena, Kyleena, Liletta, and Skyla. These are divided into hormone based IUDs (Mirena, Kyleena, Liletta, and Skyla) and copper IUDs (Paragard). Paragard doesn’t have hormones ⁠— instead it’s wrapped in a tiny piece of copper and protects against pregnancy for up to 12 years. The hormone based IUDs release the same hormone as the implant but these ones don’t last quite as long. Mirena works up to 7 years, Kyleena up to 5, Liletta up to 7, and Skyla up to 3. These can also be used as emergency contraceptives, meaning they can prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex if inserted within 5 days. Disadvantages/side effects can include cramps and backaches for days after insertion, irregular periods (hormonal IUDs), spotting between periods, and heavier periods with stronger cramps (copper IUDS).

The Pill (use on a schedule): The birth control pill is 91% effective and can cost $0-$50, and you have to take the pill daily. “The pill” is just a pill with hormones in it, but it can also do more for you than just prevent pregnancy. There are two kinds of pills. First are combination pills (combined contraceptives). Combination pills have both estrogen and progestin (like the implant and the hormonal IUDs). Combination pills are the most common type of birth control pill. The second kind is Progestin-only pills (mini-pills). Like the name suggests, these only have progestin in them. These work by stopping the sperm from joining with an egg; the pills stop the ovulation of an egg, so there is no egg for the sperm to join with. It is recommended that when taking the pill you should download an app to remind you to take your pill or set an alarm on your phone to take it on time everyday. Disadvantages of the pill are typically similar those of the other two forms of birth control listed above.

Vasectomy (procedure): A vasectomy is a type of male birth control as it is a procedure that makes it so the penis cannot put sperm into the vagina. A doctor cuts or blocks the small tubes in the scrotum that carry sperm.  It is 99% effective, can cost $0-$1,000, and can last for life (though it can be reversed). The procedure is extremely simple and the healing time is very short. This is also a great way to take the pressure for “safe sex” off of women. This is basically a hysterectomy, but for men. Vasectomies don’t change the way having an orgasm or ejaculating feels. The semen will still look, feel, and taste the same after a vasectomy ⁠— it just no longer has the power to get someone pregnant. Disadvantages can include a temporary infection that can be healed with antibiotics, short-term pain from the surgery, and in extreme cases, slight pain when ejaculating.

Abstinence: If you are extremely worried about getting pregnant or worried about the side effects from any type of birth control, then you can always stay abstinent. This is 100% effective and doesn’t cost anything. 

Just because birth control is out there doesn’t mean nothing can go wrong. All of these forms of birth control, even those not listed, have side effects and disadvantages. If something doesn’t feel right or you are worried, speak with a trusted adult or a doctor to check things out. Birth control doesn’t protect you from everything, including sexually transmitted diseases. If your partner is on any form of birth control, you should still be using a condom to protect both of you from getting STDs, and be sure to get screened for STDs before having sex with a new partner! Overall, sex is not something to be ashamed of, but it is vital that you take any necessary precautions before engaging in sexual activity!

Editor-in-Chief 2022-23 HerCampus Utah. Majoring in Political Science and loving journalism!