This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I don’t know about you, but over quarantine I’ve developed some useless and questionable hobbies, one of which being gaming. While it is fun to just sit and keep my hands busy, it’s getting out of hand. One the bright side, it’s kept me from going absolutely bonkers. Gaming has become big since it’s a way to hang out with friends without actually seeing them in person, but there are so many games out there so it can be kind of intimidating for beginners. As a not-so-professional gamer, here are my top three games to start your gaming journey. Each one has single and multiplayer modes so there’s something for everyone. These games provide hours and hours of fun with various things to do in each one.

nintendo switch console with cat nearby
Photo by Mister Mister from Pexels

Among Us

Up first is Among Us. I’m sure that you’ve heard of this game at least once. If not, how? This game is basically Mafia but in space, which makes it a thousand times cooler. You play as cute and customizable crewmates (mine is light green with the sprout head. It’s adorable). Once the game starts, you get either the role of Crewmate or Imposter. As the Crewmate, it’s your job to complete all of the assigned tasks and find the imposters. As an Imposter, you go around killing the crewmates without getting the caught. You win as a Crewmate if you kick the imposters out, and you win as an Imposter if you kill everyone. This game is multiplayer, so you can host your own games or join others. It’s a fun virtual party activity, but be warned, you could get addicted to this game. 

League of Legends

Next is League of Legends. I’m going to be real here, I don’t understand this game. All I got out of my three days playing it is if you like strategy and excessive mouse clicking, this one is for you. This one is also primarily multiplayer, but you can train by yourself or against AI characters. I’m going to be honest, I’m not the best at this game, but I like to blame the game rather than my own lack of understanding. It’s kind of confusing for me, but it’s probably because I haven’t invested as much time in it as I have the other two games. This game is basically capture the flag. You defend your side while trying to destroy enemy turrets. Of course there is more to that such as minion waves and what character is good at scouting what path. It’s a lot, but if you invest in it and play a lot it’s really fun. Furthermore, they have have their own girl group called K/DA and their music is really good. If that doesn’t want to make you play, I don’t know what will. The characters have such cool designs and are really fun to play with. The reason that I put this game in here is because it’s very popular and has lots of players around the world. I just made it sound very intimidating to start playing League, but if you don’t give up like I did you’ll be fine at it. Remember to use the training arena as much as you can to practice different characters. Like anything, it takes time to get better at. 

Genshin Impact

Alright, I’ve saved best for last: Genshin Impact. I may be biased because I am actually addicted to this game, but that doesn’t matter. Did I write this article as an excuse to talk about Genshin? …No. That’s a dumb question. This game is free and just…so beautiful. Everytime I open it I think “how is this free?” Then I remember the desperate players who spend hundreds of dollars on the game and think “nevermind.” The best way to describe this game is Breath of the Wild but a million times better. It’s a single player RPG game. The story is that you are trying to find your lost twin and you get caught in the middle of the stories of other characters while being guided by Paimon aka Emergency Food (inside joke). You can choose to play as Lumine (the female twin) or Aether (the male twin). As the beginning you get three free characters and the rest are obtained from gacha (because what’s better than gambling?). In the game playable characters have “visions” that grant them the power to wield one of seven elements which are Pyro (fire), Geo (rock), Electro (electricity), Cryo (ice), Hydro (water), Anemo (wind), and Dendro (leaves). There is a lot more to this game, but I’m trying to keep it short as to avoid the boredom that comes from my fangirling. Something amazing about the game is the characters. They are so detailed and each has their own personality. From beautiful waifus to handsome husabandos, this game has so much to offer. This game is single player but you can unlock co-op mode after a certain amount of time. This game is so fun to play and after almost finishing everything available, I’m still not bored of it. If anyone starts playing let me know so I can flex my five star characters and weapons on you. Just kidding I love playing with friends. 

These three games are sure to keep you busy from the boredom of quarantine. While I don’t play Among Us or League as much as Genshin, I can easily say that all three of them are very fun. I see quarantine as a time to try new things, even if they are out of your comfort zone. I never would’ve known how fun a game was until I tried it. Hopefully this somewhat crazy and fangirly spill about these games has inspired you try them out. If not, that’s okay, the gamer life isn’t for everyone. A tip for those who start playing Genshin, good luck picking one husabando or waifu to cry over. It’s not easy! Alright, that’s all for now. I’m going back to gaming and cramping my thumbs out. Stay safe everyone and happy gaming!

Anoushka is majoring in Information Systems and Political Science. She loves reading books, playing video games, listening to music, and watching anime.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor