This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

On Hollywood’s biggest night, there’s only one rule everyone follows: dress to the nines. The Academy Awards began in 1929 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles. This year, they took place at the Dolby Theater in L.A. and were hosted by Jimmy Kimmel. Winning an Oscar means entering into the most prestigious, elite group in the film industry. A nomination is a recognition of respect and talent, and is a goal for everyone in the film industry from actors to costume designers. Winning  is life-changing.

Alright, so the Academy Awards are a big deal. It’s the one time we can see the icons from every genre and background in one room. While the music, presentations, and wins of the night are great, for designers and their dedicated followers, the red carpet is the most exciting event of the entire award show season. This year’s Oscars red carpet hosted some of the best dresses and tuxes we’ve seen in a while. Below are some of the favorites from the night, ranging from metallic sequins to velvet suit coats.

Nicole Kidman in Armani Privé

We can always count on Nicole to look polished. Her strapless, structured dress was in a rich, shiny royal blue fit for a queen. The bow on the front was a questionable risk, but without it the whole look would’ve been boring. And let’s be real, who else could pull off a bow like that but the statuesque Ms. Kidman?

Lupita Nyong’o in Versace

I audibly gasped when I first saw Lupita in this gold, bold, and gorgeous gown. Her hair accessories, makeup, and clutch went well with the classic Versace chainmail that cut diagonally across. She was glowing head to toe and delivered a look to make Wakanda proud.

Margot Robbie in Chanel

Margot looked ethereal in a custom gown complete with glittering details across her bodice and shoulders. Short hair and simple makeup created a fresh, effortless look for the Best Actress nominee.

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior

Metallic dresses were one of the biggest trends at this year’s Oscars, and no one did it better than Jennifer. Her floor-skimming gown had a fitted bodice and draping skirt covered in gunmetal sequins varying in shape. She paired the look with soft waves, smokey eyes, and a burnt orange lip, giving off a totally ‘70s vibe.

Gal Gadot in Givenchy

This gorgeous silver ombre dress turned heads, but the real show-stopper was no doubt the striking necklace from Tiffany & Co. Dark red lipstick and an elegant updo let the necklace take center stage and turned her look into a statement.

Emily Blunt in Schiaparelli

Wrapped head to toe in light blue tulle and encrusted in bejeweled details, Emily looked like royalty. Her cool-toned blonde hair and neutral makeup led to an aesthetic that could’ve belonged in a French bourgeoisie painting.

Greta Gerwig in Rodarte

Greta was the only woman nominated in the Best Director category for her film Lady Bird. And just in case that didn’t merit her a million cool points, her golden yellow dress did. Fully covered with shimmery floral details, a dainty blue necklace and red lipstick contrasted with the floor length gown.

Viola Davis in Michael Kors

Where to start with Viola? The stunning hot pink dress? The silver hoop earrings? Her gorgeous pulled back hair? Her killer arms? Everything about her look on the carpet was perfect, and delivered a wonderful pop of color.

Taraji P. Henson in Vera Wang

There hasn’t been a leg moment like this since Angelina Jolie’s iconic 2012 Oscars dress. Taraji was draped in black sheer fabric with gorgeous movement (even in still photographs. . . I don’t know what kind of magic that requires). Sleek hair, glowing skin and strappy heels rounded out her look.

Sally Hawkins in Armani Privé

Not only did Sally’s film The Shape of Water win Best Picture, but she definitely won some points for her red carpet appearance. Sporting structured shoulders, long sleeves, and black detail on the bottom, her dress looked nice in photos but was truly breathtaking on stage under the lights.

Allison Janney in Reem Acra

Her groundbreaking performance as LaVonda Harding in I, Tonya won her the award for Best Supporting Actress. Allison’s form fitting bright red dress stood out as one of the best of the night. With floor length sleeves and a deep neckline, she looked like a winner from the get-go.

Gina Rodriguez in Zuhair Murad

Champagne shimmer drenched Gina and sparkled the entire night. Her pulled back hair allowed the focus to be on the plunging neckline and expanded A-line skirt of the dress. Minimal jewelry and makeup completed the look and made a princess-style dress totally sophisticated.

Zendaya in Giambattista Valli

Name a time when Zendaya didn’t absolutely slay, I dare you. A diagonal neckline, rounded sleeve, and flowing skirt were created in a rich, deep brown that complemented her (absolutely flawless) gold-toned makeup.

Armie Hammer in Giorgio Armani

Despite being sick with the flu, Armie made it to the Oscars and absolutely killed it, no less. His red velvet tux was arguably the most unique ensemble of the night. He joined a group of multiple men rocking velvet texture in their attire, including Ansel Elgort, Common, and Mahershala Ali.

Timothée Chalamet in Berluti  

His incredible performance in Call Me By Your Name garnered the 22 year-old actor his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Timothée arrived in an off-white suit and black shoes. His hair was casually tousled as usual and his charming smile dazzled everyone.

Daniel Kaluuya in Brunello Cucinelli

Daniel looked absolutely stunning in a gold-toned velvet blazer with black satin lapels. The rest of his outfit was kept classic, making the blazer pop even more. He was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance in Get Out.

Chadwick Boseman in Givenchy

If you look up “king” in the dictionary, you should find a photo of Chadwick on the Oscars red carpet. His long embellished suit coat stood out among the crowd of average tuxes, and was tailored to a T.

Tom Holland in Hermès

A double-breasted coat gave a wonderful touch of London style to Tom’s look. His traditional fit was different from the others seen on the carpet and looked absolutely dashing.

It’s hard to believe the award season of 2018 is already coming to a close. The Oscars red carpet is undoubtedly the most formal, and while that can sometimes lead to conservative (ahem, boring) dress choices, I was pleasantly surprised with how many different textures, finishes, fits, and colors were worn this time around. Of course the fashion is exciting, but the films and the incredible talent behind them were the true shining stars of the night. If you haven’t seen the nominees and winners, you should — they’ve made history as being part of the 90th Academy Awards. We already can’t wait to see what the 91st show has in store.

All photo sources are linked in the article. 

Hi I'm Britt, I'm 23 and graduating after the Fall 2020 semester with a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications and two minors in Spanish and Creative Writing.  I love to dive into topics under beauty, fashion, music, art, and culture. I enjoy going a little deeper and finding information that I think readers will learn from or want to learn more about.   A couple of my favorite things are shopping (especially local!), writing, and watching movies with tons of popcorn.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor