Best Products That Don’t Harm Animals.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Fun fact: approximately 26 million animals are used every year in the United States for scientific and commercial testing. Twenty. Six. Million. In the United States alone. That fun fact isn’t really all that fun. These animals are used for testing drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, household cleaners, etc. Why would a household cleaning product need to be tested on an animal? Shouldn’t it be tested on something relevant, like maybe, a spill or a stain? Animal testing has been around for centuries. There is enough data showing what is and isn’t usable in drugs and cosmetics. Further testing shows redundant results, needlessly hurting, often times killing, more innocent animals. These poor animals didn’t choose to be tested on, they didn’t volunteer. They were forced into torture and pain; forced into a life without love. 

Buying products that were not tested on animals, and supporting companies who refuse to test their products on animals, is a step in the right direction. This problem won’t be solved  overnight, but the more people we have fighting against cruelty, the better. 

Finding cruelty free products can be a challenge if you don’t know where to look. Luckily, there are few helpful tools out there to help:

Peta has lists on their website showing companies that do and ones that do not test on animals. 

There is a great new app called Bunny Free that allows you to type in the name of any company or brand and it will tell you whether or not their products are animal tested. 

There is also a super helpful list of well know cosmetic companies that are cruelty free that I made and put right here:

Lush Cosmetics

Kat Von D Beauty 

Urban Decay (however their parent company, L’oreal, does.)

Tarte

NYX

e.l.f

Physicians Formula

Wet N Wild

NARS

Buxom

Too Faced

Bare Minerals

It isn’t too hard to find products that do not test on animals. Many of your favorite brands may already be on the cruelty free list. If not, there are many new exciting brands for you to try. Just keep in mind that no one should have to die for your make-up.

If this hasn’t convinced you, here a video or animals being tested on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYATRV6W4iA

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor